Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike events cancelled
Quote | Reply
I live by the Jersey Shore, and there are a number of bike events in which I have participated over the years that use the main route that goes from Gateway National Park (affectionately known as Sandy Hook, and from which the Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club gets its name) in the north through many oceanside towns to the south.

One of these events is the MS 170, which goes the entire length of the Jersey Shore. My former cycling team has been the course marshalls for this ride for over a decade. This year, one of the towns (which shall remain nameless until I get the details) refused to allow the MS ride use of the road through their town. After scrambling to find a suitable alternative, the MS Society decided to use the "bike path" next to the sea wall to go the couple of miles from Sandy Hook through this town. With something like 2,000 participants, this will make the charity ride rather a mess.

I just found out today that the annual Run-Bike-Run, whose bike leg goes from south of this town into Sandy Hook and back has been cancelled because of restrictions placed on the race by this town. This is a race that has been going on for a decade or more. And now it's gone.

Next up is the Sprint Triathlon in September, which has been going on for more than 20 years, and is a great, low-key, low-cost triathlon that uses essentially the same course as the duathlon above. I can't imagine that it will be spared when the other events have been nixed.

As far as I can tell, this would leave not a single duathlon or triathlon in the whole county.

I will be trying to organize a boycott of this town, if I get the chance. One irony is that the former mayor of this town, who recently died, was a runner and great supporter of the running/multisport community.

Thanks for listening.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike events cancelled [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken,

Thanks for the heads-up. I used to live in Highlands, NJ which is right next to Sandy Hook. The roads down there are busy and average for riding at best. In the summer they can be downright dangerous with tourists, etc...

I know of a bike path that stretches from Highlands down to Sea Bright. Is it either of those towns?

-Brian

We have a pool and a pond. A pond would be good for you, Karl. - Ty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where was the information about the cancellation of the Run-Bike-Run posted? Good race, I wouldn't want to miss it this year due to someone's politics.

Slower than U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken,
We went through this in the early years of the Seattle to Portland bike ride. What I would suggest is getting in contact with some of the organizers via Cascade Bicycle Club to get the particulars on how they handled resistance. Once certain economic facts came to light, like STP event bringing money spending cyclist through their community and feeding the largest single fund raiser for school rec programs, and several other community programs (by selling goods at rest stops, breakfasts, and the like) have them questioning the town administrators on how they were going to make up for lost revenue these bicycle events brought to their community STP started receiving whole hearted community support.
Best of luck,
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Bike events cancelled [bmorro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is Sea Bright. They indicated that the race could go through the town, but only if the cyclists used the bike path (that is about wide enough for two bikes).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike events cancelled [slower than U] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard about this through the Sandy Hookers forum, and confirmed the details with the County Parks Department, which puts on the two races.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply