Quote | Reply
This one's not bad either:

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Great cycling t-shirt [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that one. Where can you buy it?

Quote | Reply
here you go-- they come in black and white I think, various sizes.

http://store.pavedplanet.com/index.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Navy academy post made me realize not everyone in triathlons is from the same political background but I think we can all appreciate the value of everyone riding more bicycles and using cars less.

However, I will still go on hating people who drive Hummers.

</*I'm not slow, I'm a better than average Clydesdale*\>
Quote Reply
Re: Great cycling t-shirt [Target74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life is short. It's too short and too busy to hate anyone. I try to be amused. Most people dig their own graves quite well, if you just let them.

But perhaps the love of chrome-encrusted, pavement-bound hummers patrolling the dangerous, mine-laden suburbs is caused by the parents of the drivers (you know, by accidentally dropping baby on its head)?

Who the heck knows?

Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Apr 6, 05 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're completely right, hate is a very strong word. What I mean is, I automatically consider the driver of a hummer to be:
A) really, really insecure
B) small unit, really insecure
C) too much money, light on brains
D) rich follower type completely ignorant to the worlds problems.

Quote Reply
Re: Great cycling t-shirt [Target74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was behind a guy in a Hummer last night. The dealer, "Such-and-Such GM/Hummer, NJ," had his "Such-and-Such GM/Hummer, NJ" name plate on the rear door, the spare tire cover, the license plate holder AND the trailer hitcher plugger-up thingee.

I automatically considered the DEALER of the Hummer to be:
A) really, really insecure
B) small unit, really insecure
C) too much money, light on brains
D) rich follower type completely ignorant to the worlds problems.

On a related note, once, while at an ATM in Society Hill, Philly, I saw a broad in a Range Rover, bump into a dude's Lexus. Neither was watching where they were going, thinking the world, nay, the universe must defer to their wishes. He suffered a puckered bumper while she got a scuff of white paint on her bash guard. They immediately got out, started arguing about whose fault was what. The broad asked for my name and phone number, since I had seen the whole thing and could be a witness.

"You're taking this to court!!!" I screamed / laughed with a big prolotariat grin, "Are you f'n nuts!!! You both were at fault. Neither of you was paying attention, and there's no way either of you have enough 'damage' to even reach your deductable.
"Besides, lady, if you are the least bit concerened about getting a little smudge of paint on your Range F'n Rover, you shouldn't even be allowed to drive it, let alone own one!!! They're designed to be headbutted by mad f'n rhinos for chrise-sake!!! Leave me out of it!!!"

I saw the Lexus dude in the gym in NJ a week later. No words were exchanged. Sometimes, I actually feel sorry for "those people."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Great cycling t-shirt [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Besides, lady, if you are the least bit concerened about getting a little smudge of paint on your Range F'n Rover, you shouldn't even be allowed to drive it, let alone own one!!! They're designed to be headbutted by mad f'n rhinos for chrise-sake!!! Leave me out of it!!!"

did you really say that? that's f*cking funny!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"did you really say that? that's f*cking funny!"

Yes. Yes, I did.

And it felt gooooood, especially since I drive a 1990 Nissan Sentra (which only had 110K on it at the time ... 164K now)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You totally rule. Without a doubt. That headbutting rhino lines gets me every time. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
there's no way either of you have enough 'damage' to even reach your deductable.

You might be surprised - the cost to replace or repair the parts on some premier "luxury" vehicles is insane. Part of the premium you pay for having a fancy hood ornament.

This is a great story, though. I only hope I have the presence of mind to answer in a similar fashion if I ever find myself in that situation.
Last edited by: Quadzilla: Apr 7, 05 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The broad asked for my name and phone number, since I had seen the whole thing and could be a witness."

I would have negotiated a good hourly rate for my witness status and the associated expenses. Payable up front and by both parties.

You missed a golden opportunity there, my friend!

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Last edited by: adrialin: Apr 6, 05 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was she on her cell phone? Most NY women are. The cell phone is directly attached to their ear & mouth. Not a problem in the world....with hubby paying the bills.

PS: All these people driving in these big SUV's are driving the price of gas out the roof. The refineries are having problems keeping up with the demand. Plus we are keeping the oil companies & our terrorist friends rich in the Middle East.
Quote Reply
Re: Great cycling t-shirt [kjsmitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS: All these people driving in these big SUV's are driving the price of gas out the roof.

I do not believe that this the main reason for the increase in prices here in the US.

To quote a report to Federal Reserve Board ... "The International Energy Agency (IEA) has continued to revise upward its projections of global oil usage. To illustrate, world oil consumption for the second quarter of this year, the latest quarter for which we have complete data, is now estimated to have been about 3.7 million barrels per day higher than the IEA projected in July 2003. (For reference, total global oil consumption this year has averaged about 81 million barrels per day). A significant part of this unexpected increase in oil consumption, about 2.2 million barrels per day, reflected quickly growing oil demands in East Asia, notably China. However, an ongoing economic expansion across both the industrialized and the emerging-market economies has also contributed to the world's growing appetite for oil."
Quote Reply
Re: Great cycling t-shirt [mike419] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While SUV's may not directly correlate to increased prices, they definitely contribute to increased pollution, greenhouse gas, and unnecessary consumption. I drive a Toyota Camry (slightly better than average?) about 25 miles to work every day and I know at least 25 people where I work who drive SUV's from even further away. So that's ONE PERSON driving 30+ miles each way every day, probably using 2x or 3x the amount of gas that someone in a more fuel efficient car would be getting. What also adds insult to injury to me is that these people can obviously afford to keep up with their car payments and all this extra gas, so they could afford to buy something newer and more fuel efficient.
HOWEVER, I really believe the problem lies with "Detroit" and the lack of backbones in Congress to stand up to them. CAFE standards haven't increased since (I believe) Bush I and that is RIDICULOUS.

Quote Reply