Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston Marathon: Salazar vs. Beardsley
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a great article on this battle to the wire in 1982.

http://www.halhigdon.com/books/boston.html

One notable. It discusses a guy finishing 109th in 2:27. If I recall correctly, 2:27 would be pretty close to top 25 the last five or so years at Boston, with 100th place usually being close to 2:40. What happend to all the real athletes? Don't tell me they are all doing tris, because there aren't many people putitng up results of the same caliber, which in my book, would be about 4:15 in a HIM.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon: Salazar vs. Beardsley [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly? I don't think many people care about Boston as much as they did. It's late in the year, people would rather be running Chicago for a faster time.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon: Salazar vs. Beardsley [RocketDogEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, what are you talking about? Boston is always in mid-APRIL...late in the year?!?? One reason for the relative lack of depth is that there are SOOOOOOOOO many more marathons nowdays all over the world, not just the country. Why would a 2:20 marathoner go run Boston and have little chance to make money, when they could go elsewhere, run a differnet marathon or even a different distance and podium and take home a decent sized check?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon: Salazar vs. Beardsley [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think the argument about there being fewer fast runners is still intact. Even if you sampled the marathons of the world I think you would find a fewer number of sub 2'30' runners nowadays - just my feeling.

Quote | Reply
to give you an idea how the times have changed, in 1984 I ran a 2:30:06 give or take a couple of seconds and placed somewhere around 250th place.

I think both arguements are correct, with so many races, the compeition is diluted at each of the races now, especially for Americans, but there is a lot less people running sub 2:30 now in the US then there was 20 years ago. Even fewer under 2:20. Maybe someone can do a bit of research and find the exact numbers.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply