Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why must we register for IMNA so far in advance?
Quote | Reply
Would it really be terrible if registration opened, say, 6 months before the race? What's the point of having to basically say, "I know exactly what I will be doing a year from now, and I'm certain enough that I'll put down almost $500 right now." Is everybody really always certain what they will be doing? Or are people just willing to eat the money if something comes up?

I'm hoping to finish my degree in May, 2006. So next school year is going to be mostly about applying for jobs and post-docs. So, bascially, I have no idea what I'm going to be doing in summer 2006, where I'll be moving to, when my job will start, etc. I really want to do IMCDA and IMC, but I have no idea what part of the country I'll be in when the dates roll around!

I think I'll probably end up doing something like vineman or grand columbian in 2006, since I can register later.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Why must we register for IMNA so far in advance? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because people are willing to pay it.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am definitely with you. I would much prefer registering 3-6 months before the races. However, I understand IMNA and various other race directors' objectives. It really comes down to time value of money. If you can sell out your race a year in advance and put all that money in the bank there is some interest to be made on that money. I will grant you that it is not alot when it is single event but when you are talking about IMNA (6 IMs I think) at 2000 entrants X $500.00 = $1,000,000.00 per event. So that means at least $6MM being used at any one time. When you talk about that kind of money even at a measly 2% savings or money market will yield $120,000 in interest on the $6,000,000.00, or $20,000 in interest per event. Not too shabby.

That said I still side with you on wishing I did not have to register a year in advance.
Last edited by: PH: Apr 5, 05 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two reasons:

#1, Money!

#2, $$$$$

Bastards! But...... I can't blame them for taking advantage of our capitalist society. If you can make the bucks, go for it.

I personally think that they are being irresponsible for the wellbeing of the sport. There is SOOOOOOOO much more that IMNA could be doing for the sport, from development teams to outreach programs to better marketing and promotion of an active lifestyle. Should they? up to them, it's a free country.

I for one would like to see more from such a powerful force in the sport of triathlon than putting on a good race and making a boat load of money. I dont think it'll happen any time soon though.

You know what would be cool? If a few of the top pro's who have won in IMHI, or the defending champ of HI stated that they would not be back to defend for the self proclaimed "world championship" then laid the gauntlet by saying that if anyone wants to knock them off, they need to race them @ some other event like Roth, or Ultramax. I think that would be the fastest way for IM to get some competition in the long course race venue. I'll bet that they could drum up some HUGE prize $ and sponsorships and attract a VERY good field, if not better than HI.
Quote Reply
Re: Why must we register for IMNA so far in advance? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of upfront expenses are experienced by race directors - almost a year out to ensure they can secure the venue, permits - etc etc.

Simple supply and demand - if you were a race director - would you not get all the money a year ahead of time - so as to not have to go into debt to set up a race.

If people are willing to pay - which we are - then (it is what it is - just kidding Francois) the race directors can do this easily - many of us don;t know what we are going to be doing in a year - but - we plan our calendar around these races and if something comes up and you can't race - then so be it - you are entitled to a partial refund.

$450 over a 12 month period is only $8.60 per week

Break it down that way and the sting goes out of potentially burning the cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Why must we register for IMNA so far in advance? [That Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. If you can, do!

But...... I just feel that they could do more for the sport because of their situation as one of, if not the most influential force in triathlon.

And again, all it takes is the right combination of events to knock IM off the top. IM is not an international governing body like IOC. They are a private company that has to deal with competition, all be it not much right now. If someone gets smart enough or has enough $, say goodbuy to IMNA as we see it today. They WILL have to make some changes if the competition gets steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just be glad they don't make you pay 2 years in advance.
Quote Reply