Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St Louis 1/2 & Marathon
Quote | Reply
I am flying into STL from Orange County Thursday afternoon for the 1/2. I had to make the trip for family commitments, so I arranged it for race weekend.

Any locals give me some hints about weather, can't miss eating spots in town, tourist spots. I will we visiting the Arch and the Mississippi, but otherwise....

I am staying in a community about 20+- minutes outside the race start.
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where abouts are you staying? There are a few nice spots to hit.....the AB Brewery is cool, as for food- it is hard to go wrong on "The Hill". Local Italian neighborhood with some great eateries. One name to remember is Cunetto's. Really excellent pasta at decent prices...they don't take reservations so you either get there early or prepare to wait. One local note - when they tell you it is going to be an hour wait, anticipate about 1/2 that....

PM me if you need further data.

Enjoy your time in StL....the weather for next weekend looks spectacular for the race!

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather should be beautiful - low 50s. Course is challenging with numerous hills. Second the recommendation for Italian food. There are many other places to eat such as the Central West End (west end of the City) and the Loop (area near Washington University). Lastly, Ted Drewes is a must after recovered from the race (famous frozen custard stand in South St. Louis City on the original Route 66). Good luck at the race.

-----------------
My races
Boston Marathon
Florida 70.3
Was IMMOO, Now IMFLA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The East Side has the best assortment of dancing girls. I know people who have thought that east of the Mississippi has the best gentlemen's clubs in the U.S., possibly the world.

Washington Ave has good clubbing action (though I feel like a senior citizen in those).

Make certain you visit Maplewood Bicycles and Big Shark bicycles. Both are totally different bike shops.

Uncle Bill's pancakes on Kingshighway is a good spot to go.
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The East Side has the best assortment of dancing girls."
"Uncle Bill's pancakes on Kings highway is a good spot to go."

This is what I am talking about - my kind of town! Dancing girls and Pancakes - Thanks for all the spots guys! I am not exactly sure where I am staying - I will be with my inlaws, and when I ask "where?" they all just say, "outside St Louis"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larry Flynt's is in Washington Park, IL (about 5 min from downtown St. Louis), as is Hollywood. PT's Cabarets (there are three of them) are located 1-10 mins from downtown. You have to go across the river.

Uncle Bill's is the best, though I haven't been there in awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed your getting some good suggestions here.
I def. second Uncle Bills, its best after visiting the east side... pancakes are super, B&G's awesome. Man I love that place.

Ted Drews is over rated. But go there any way or you'll never hear the end of it.

For lower key night or to warm up before heading to the East side I'd suggest Q's or the Cheshire.

have fun...

James

Maplewood Bicycle
St. Louis MO
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [smokencoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not keen on Ted Drewe's, myself.

I have not warmed up at the two you mention, mainly because I live on the East Side (and can get to see my favourite dancing girls quickly).

Kimberly who works at PT's in Sauget can put her legs behind her head. I have not visited there as of late, so I don't know if she is still there.

PT's in Centreville has swinger's night on Saturday nights, where you can have good, clean family fun. Male dancers for the girls, women for the guys.

Gotta go to Uncle Bill's again soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow might be time to PTs...

I gotta get out more...

James

Maplewood Bicycle
St. Louis MO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for one would avoid the PT's in Centerville at all costs. In my brief experience there it reminded me too much of my parents basement in the '70's - lots of wood paneling, bad music and older, ugly girls. The PT's in Souget is closer to downtown St Louis and, IMO, the best nudie bar in St Louis.

Not sure what else to suggest. I think St Louis is a great city if you know excatly where to go for whatever you are into. The town has everything but everything is usually not so obvious to find. I would suggest visiting Forest Park for either a warm up run on the trails or just to walk around while visiting the Zoo. Great to do with family also.

Maplewood Bicycles is the best. I was there a few days ago and they have a Kuota and a Lucero side by side. Lots of eye candy there of the QR, Cervelo and Merlin flavors, and they don't charge for lap dances. Tim is the fitter there and I am confident he is the best fitter in this part of the Midwest.

Some good eating spots if you have time: Cafe Maya has awesome South American food and the best Mojitos in town. Remy's in Clayton is my favorite...mostly a wine kitchen but the food is just stellar, and of course their wine list is top notch. They are chains, but KC Masterpiece and PF Changs practically share a parking lot, and both are good.

Also the Cardinals play at home this weekend, so downtown will be RED and probably a little bit nuts.

Best of luck to you, and have fun!!

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if anyone has mentioned the new Penthouse Club over the east side yet....but I heard a bunch of press about it a few weeks ago. I have yet to get over there and visit myself so I can't give any direct feedback - NOTE TO SELF: "Must go EAST soon!" PT's in Sauget is the "default destination" for post game entertainment...

I also second the suggestions of checking out Forest Park and Ted Drewes!

GO CARDS!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [Tri-Wog StL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been yet either. I friend of mine went and she told me it is her favorite. I hated Diamonds and she assured me that the Penthouse Club was nothing like Diamonds...totally remodeled, different ambiance, etc.

I haven't been the the east side in a LONG time...and seeing as I am getting married in a few weeks I think a trip is called for. Maybe more than one!
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [Tri-Wog StL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sauget is a seedy town with a virtual cornicopis of GC's -- and yes Penthouse Club is there, plus PT,s etc....in fact, I was just there as part of my final four trip dow to STL....

The St Louis Half Mary, run by the St. Louis Track Vluc in Forest Park, was just run last week...very nice hilly course, but don't know much about this race....

be careful, it can get humid in STL, even this early in the year.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: St Louis 1/2 & Marathon [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, the penthous club was good and clean (not a dumpy bad GC), but they didn;'t get fully naked (like they do doing the luch buffet)....

I could not believe how many women were at the club....

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply