Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo.
Quote | Reply
We rode to the Island this morning. Bridge (pay bridge) is closed for re-decking. Easy out, some excellent efforts coming back including one where Steven McMahon hit 39 mph on the flats. Awesome.

38 miles total. Great weather, great ride. Breakfast at Einsteins after.

In attendance this morning: (L to R) Steven McMahon, Crime family kingpin Mario Bonnano, Mike Aderhold, Pierre Gosselin, Former US National Team Member Mikey Roland.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steven McMahon must be getting super strong. Not suprising though, since he beat me pretty handily last year on a Saddleman 10 mile PATT in which he posted the fastest time, and I think he was relatively new. If I remember right, he had taken a load of time off his previous month's time. Of note was that fact that he was the only one in the top 5 - 10 on a road bike (felt pictured below), nothing but aerobars. Pisses me off actually.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo. [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's got the "young kid" strength. He isn't to clever about things though. He'll sit on during a 30 mph pull, then take it up t0 34 mph, then two guys will attack him when he's blown and then he's gone.

Strong guy. A lot to learn.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm jealous.

Not that I could keep up with those crazy speeds you ride at, but almost all my rides are solo and it would be fun to have some group rides occasionally.

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo. [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? There's gotta be a group ride sometime around there.
Quote Reply
Re: Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo. [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuala Belait, Brunei, N.W. Borneo.

I ride with someone else here occasionally, but my rides are getting faster/longer than they want to do, so that doesn't happen very often. Cyclings not a big sport here, and the drivers are scary. I get forced off the road a couple of times a week by people overtaking oncoming traffic and not caring that I'm in the lane they're now occupying.

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Morning rides back in effect at Bikesport: Photo. [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people get the mistaken impression that we just go out and ride 2 hours at 27 mph. Obviously, (or maybe not so obivously) we don't.

Our rides are usually about 17-18 mph for the first hour out to the turnaround point. Once we turnaround it becomes much more sporting. This morning we did a seris of efforts over 30 mph, the longest of which was about six and a half minutes long according to my HRM download.

Our buddy Pierre turned around early this morning so it then become a big contest to catch him on the way back into town since he had about a 10 minute head start on the way back. so we pretty much throw down on the return trip and then go to breakfast. By this time of day we are hitting th Red Bull pretty hard just to stay functional we're so bushed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds excellent, wish I were closer.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, they have roads there? :)

On weekdays there is a minimum of a couple of morning rides, noon rides and evening rides starting about a mile from where I live near in California. The only bad thing is there is only about 2-3 minutes stretches of flat road (that's convenient and safe to bike) near here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is something better than that, tom.

gathering here at the house for the first spring ride today were a group of 5 young female 8th graders. two of them have raced mtn bikes since they were little kids, and have gotten their friends into triathlon and to wheedle their parents into getting them sho-nuff road bikes - shorts and helmets and shoes and the whole bit. a little mentoring, some amatuer bike fitting and stem swapping, a few pointers on where to go and what to wear etc, cell phones just in case and off they hammer looking great. hour and a half later here they come, sweating, happy, and digging it. i'll try to get a pic . . . . . well these are young girls, and this is slowtwitch . . . . . . . . . maybe not.

anyway, these girls are rocking. how come ya don't see that more often, do you think ??
Quote Reply