Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ways to speed healing of a calf strian
Quote | Reply
It keeps coming back. I tried resting it but it keeps coming back. It came back yesterday during an 8 mile run. still finished strong and quick, so should i maybe just run through it? My big race is in 3 weeks. Its an oly so i can just take the pain, but can i hurt it more like a tear?
Quote Reply
Re: Ways to speed healing of a calf strian [nos306stang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you changed your shoes lately? Usually when I get a muscle problem from running I can change my shoes and this generally takes care of it. I'll sometimes change complete model and make of shoes. I alternate between three or four types of shoes. I've always been told if it hurts to walk on it don't run on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only running injury I have ever had was a calf strain. I kept running, and eventually after an 18 mile run the thing blew up like a football. I don't think I tore it, but I still hurt it pretty bad. Sidelined me from running (and couldn't push off the wall at the pool) for a few months.

The thing that ultimately did wonders for me was deep massage. Best if you can go to someone who treats runners. It has never quite healed, but now I go to the massage dude every 3-4 weeks (2-3 weeks during race season, or more often when I start to feel that familiar pain) for 30 minutes a shot and all is well. Ice after the run probably helps too.

If I were you, I'd get the thing worked on before I ran again. Maybe 2 or 3 times even. You won't be able to stretch it out. You really need someone to get in there and work it (along with your quads and other things that may be contributing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I tore a soleus a couple years ago and when I came back had recurring calf tightness and pain on just about every run. I treated with consistent stretching and self-massage work with the rolling pin. By consistent I mean every night. Worked in that I was able to continue to run without the calf limiting my stride etc., but I was never happy about the staying power of the problem. As long as you can manage the symptoms, and don't do anything outrageous, I'd imagine you can keep going without fear of doing any more serious damage. But after your race, I'd look at a couple weeks of consistent professional massage as the way to get past it.

On a related note, I just switched running shoes last week, after 2years on the same brand/model, and the calf pain went away overnight. I mean gone! I'm amazed it could be that easy, but for me that appears to be the case. Just one man's experience.

Good luck..T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know for certain that it's a muscle strain? Do you know for certain that it's a muscle strain caused by running?
Quote Reply
Re: Ways to speed healing of a calf strian [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill try the rolling pin idea. Should I just go back and forth over it? I can run without it limiting me just annoying pain. I feel it when i walk until it really gets loose. Great to hear i can still run. I am a short course guy so no long 18 mile runs. if i can get to my race in shape i can take some time off after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the deep massage. Last year, I tore my soleus. I took several weeks off from running, but as soon as I started again it came back. I went to a PT who told me that kind of injury will not go away just by resting it. Deep (way deep, painful) massage is necessary to remove the adhesions from the muscle that are causing the pain. One session and I was running again. Three sessions and I was fixed.
Quote Reply
How I do it [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 . . is to go roll from achilles up to the apex of the split calf muscles and then back down. Increas pressure as you can take or as needed. My problem was with the soleus so I worked that, but if you find that your Gastrocnemius are the problem, work those too. I think once you try it you'll figure out what is working for you.

Sometimes I'd almost cry when I started, and would have to stop and stretch a bit before continuing, but it always helped.

Good luck..T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
Re: Ways to speed healing of a calf strian [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try the rolling pin thing but for the deep massage should you go to a massage therapist or a PT.

I fully agree . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 . . . the pain differential is huge! Nothing like a massage that makes you break out in a sweat to give you confidence that you're taking care of healing.

T

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently done the soleus and the larger Gastroc. I made sure to apply heat before any workouts for 10 to 15 minutes. After workouts I spent about 5 minutes on the foam roller followed by several sets of different calf stretches. Finally I iced for 20-30 minutes afterwards and took Aleeve when it was at its worst. (never before workouts though)

I knocked it out both times using this protocol within about a week. I also dialed my run training WAY back during these flair ups and made up for it on the bike and in the pool.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Ways to speed healing of a calf strian [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely a PT. If you live in Colorado, I recommend Mark Platjes in Boulder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ways to speed healing of a calf strian [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is a foam roller?

Quote | Reply
If you post a picture of the injured leg(s) on andypants hotlegs contest thread, your injury will heal immediately.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply