Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sig,

When you walk down the street where are you palms facing?

If your recover your stroke shoulder then elbow and finally hand, your hand will automatically turn inward. that is the natural and neutral hand position.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rockfish,

Your questions are always welcome.

Finishing your stroke at your hip is called "bagging the back end." If you push water back and up past your hip you are also pushing your hip back into the water and causing an arcing motion of your recovery arm.

You arm should enter the water in line with your shoulder an opposite your extended arm's elbow. From here your arm extends in the water. Make sure your start your stroke on the other side as soon as your arm touches the water. You will avoid dead spots and a complete catch up stroke.

Once your initiate your stroke the palm of your hand is facing toward your feet. YOur hand continues to face backward by adjusting your wrist position. Place both hands over head and touch palm to palm. Bring your arms to your chest with your hand still touching. Notice that your wrist gives as you do this movement. It is the same with your stroke.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Guy,

You are an improving athlete.

Keep questioning and keep learning.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Not only point your toes but kick up as well as down. Engage your hamstrings in the kick.[/reply]

Well, of course, although I think that I use my glutes more on the upkick for some reason. It's hard to remember when I think about the motion.

On a similar stroke question, a lot has been talked about for hand motion underwater. The old rule was the "S-bend" method, but some of the "new theory" is that you should turn more on your side and use the lats more in a more straight-line pull. This would put your return side further upwards. I've tried both and my brain just automatically makes me do something more like the S-bend. I swim faster Thorpe-style (55 min IM) but I get tired faster, and end up slow on the 2nd half and 1:08 or so in training. I usually take it easy during the swim in races anyway (1:15-1:20), so I really don't know which method is more efficient. I find it a lot easier to breathe and keep myself high in the water with the newer method, which is very useful for me! I can take a full breath of air and sink to 3-5' under water...very distressing. :) What's your take on the "old" vs "new" style (considering the "new" style was really talked about some 50 years ago but ignored.)

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Apr 4, 05 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriGuy42,

Old patterns die hard. The old S pattern was a misunderstanding of lift and drag forces. We all swim with an S pattern because it was in vogue for almost 30 years and very few people questioned it.

Stay with the new stroke. It is actually much easier to do and is faster. When ever you change a pattern there is a battle in your head and body over one habit and a new stroke. Keep conscious, observe your stroke and lead with your hips. It will keep your shoulders higher in the water and make it much easier to pull straight back.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Palm in? As in pinky - not thumb - meets the water as I extend my arm? I've been doing that for a couple weeks to cut down on shoulder strain - am I doing this right?

Thanks for all your informative posts!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest little error in swimming [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power,

You are correct.

One of the major causes of shoulder problems is the arcing motion of the arm. Releasing your hand and turning your palm inward takes all the stress off your shoulder.

DougStern
Quote Reply

Prev Next