Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hitch rack recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I did my due diligence old message search - found some info but looking for more.....

Any good recommendations re: a hitch mounted rack for a 4Runner. I have 2 kids in car seats and often am packed full with stuff - do not want a roof rack as I've driven my bike into the garage once and thats enough....

I'd like something that allows access to the back by swinging away (down seems like it wouldn't work well). Advantages of support from top tube vs. the type that support the wheels (Saris makes one)? Any brand/type recs? Do not want draftmaster/vertical bikes (too hard for wife....)

Thanks

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: hitch rack recommendations [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am passionate about mine... Whenever I'm luggin' my buddy's bikes somewhere, I always get (in a thick Al Pacino voice) "NICE RACK"!

I too have a Toyota 4Runner and was checking out hitch mount options last year. I spent a lot of time researching and decided on the Yakima Fullswing Four. I was comfortable with the top tube holding type racks so I can't comment on the Saris types, they (the wheel supporting racks) just seemed more inconvinent to me... Anyway, it is solid! I've lost a friend's bike before, flew off as we drove down the highway. I was dead set on never having that happen again and wanted something quality. I can now drive without nervousily looking back every ten seconds to make everything is where it should be!

It has a neatly designed built-in locking cable to secure the bikes. It takes about 20 seconds to engage the swing out feature of the rack. When they are swung out, you can angle the bikes away from the car and lock it in. Very cool design! The bikes are secured vertically by an angled strap holder thingy. Bikes don't swing and hit each other.

It ain't cheap, but I don't think I'll have to buy a bike rack again for many many years. I got it online at REI when there was a sale on Yakima racks... Anyhow, good luck researching and shopping!

"Set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul,
you got to run like an antelope, out of control!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've basically got 2 racks to choose from at the high end: Yakima-Fullswing or the Thule 998 Trailblazer. After much research I choose the Thule only because it has the "zip stick" basically an anti-sway bar at the bottom of the rack...My wife is 5'2" and on the back of our Nissan Armada she has no trouble; loading, operating, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the low end Thule 4 bike rack. It works great, and if you search around you can find a great deal. I ordered mine online from Sports Authority for $120 with free shipping.

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, If you do decide to go with Yakima, REI (www.REI.com) runs a sale on their stuff every year in the middle of May. I usually don't ever see it on sale at any other time.

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Re: hitch rack recommendations [flatfootedfatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the SportSolutions racks? They look pretty nice. Attach to the hitch and secure both wheels to a tray, similar to the racks you see on the front of city buses (at least around here). Looks pretty good, because you get to have the wheels outside, and you don't have to worry about the bikes banging against each other nor swaying on the hitch.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply