Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marin Bikes
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone.

I am new to triathlons, but especially ignorant in the world of bikes. I can't spend a lot, and everything I've found new in my area is either crap (but cheap) or too expensive for what I can afford.

I have, however, found a few new bikes. Most notably the Marin Venezia(http://www.marinbikes.com/...s/specs_venezia.html)

A dealer in the area has it $250 below msrp, at $600. I can afford this. But, I'm not sure about the bike itself. I have heard Giant and Felt also make bikes in this range, with similar (or better) components. Of course, I no nothing about nothing in this world...

Here's what I found on the website:

Frame: Double Butted 7005 Aluminum with Carbon seat stays.

Fork: Road Carbon.

Shifters: Shimano Sora STI

Brake: Dual Pivot

Front Derailleur: Shimano 2203

Crankset: FSA CFM, 53/42/30

Thanks from a bewildered newbie - Bryan

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."
-Lloyd Dobler
"Say Anything"
Quote Reply
Re: Marin Bikes [brain_bliss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds about average.
I've never heard of a bike that cheap coming with carbon seatstays, though. (Quality/durability questions come to mind.)

The giant OCR is a proven, tried and true starter bike. i know a lot of people that have started with one and loved it. (our own beloved Mr. Tibbs cut his teeth with an OCR 2.)

The question with the Marin would be geometry.
The OCR is actually set up well for accepting aerobars.

The Marin does look nice in the photo. How does it actually look in person?

Remember, it's not how fast you are, it's how fast you look.
Quote Reply
Re: Marin Bikes [brain_bliss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like an OK starter bike but I'm unfamiliar with them.

I will also nominate the Giant OCR series. My wife raced for her first two years on a Giant OCR-3 fitted with shorty areo bars. She had several AG wins and podiums in local area sprint tris. It was a well balanced bike, great value for the money and lent itself quite well for both road group riding and tris,

If you can afford it then do upgrade from the Sora gear train to Tiagra or even 105.

A good bike to look at would be either a Giant OCR-1 or Giant TCR-2 fitted with Shimano 105. Then you'd have a very good road bike to keep if you later decide to get a dedicated tri bike.

If you purchase second hand for a two or three year old OCR-1 or TR-2 you'll get a better spec'd bike than a newer Marin or OCR-3 for about the same price.

Felt is also highly recommended but I'm unfamiliar with them.

The main thing is to get the right size frame to insure a proper fit. If you need any help with that then send me a private email.
Quote Reply