Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switch from 8-speed to 10-speed for $100
Quote | Reply
Last night I opened my "new bike stuff" box that came in the mail and today I put my new Ultegra 10-speed cassette on the wheel in place of the old 8-speed. I changed out the chain for a wipperman 10 and off I went.

Just in case any of you wanted to add a little versatility to your cogset, this is a great way to go. You do not need new derailleur (mine is actually a very old Shimano 600 rear) or even new bar end shifters if you are willing to ditch indexing and go friction. Now I can run a 54-44 up front and have a reasonable climbing gear in the rear with a 12-25. I also get the 16-tooth back in there so it is easier to keep a good rhythm in the middle of the cogset without the 2-tooth jump to the 17.

I highly recommend 10-speed if you live anywhere with hills. You can keep a reasonable jump in your front rings and still have a decent climbing gear for up to about 7-8 percent grades (for me anyway). I rode for an hour at lunch and didn't even have to readjust my rear derailleur highs and lows. What a bargain. If you already use nine it might not be worth it, but for you retro 8-speeders out there, it may be.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from 8-speed to 10-speed for $100 [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, but STIs don't have a friction option. Otherwise, it would be great to do.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that informative post. I have 8-speed on a bike you might recognize :) I'm going to have to think about that option -- though it would also mean I need a new rear race wheel as that J-disk has a freewheel.

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've changed once in awhile to friction shifting just for the hell of it. It takes no time to get adjusted to the throw of the shifter for for cog changes. Its really no big deal and after a few hours a "no brainer" for shifting. You don't even think about not having the "clicks"! : )

Paul
Last edited by: getting-old: Apr 1, 05 18:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
44/25 for hills? the jerk hopes your bike has 650m wheels....otherwise you are either a rat-fink compulsive liar who should be beaten or the next eddy merckx....the jerk assumes the former..but good luck pal....climb those cols with your 44/25...let the jerk know every 35seconds when you finally complete a crank rotation.

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from 8-speed to 10-speed for $100 [jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is something else to consider: If you enter a flat TT, you can switchback to indexed and run only 8 of those 10 cogs.... never tried, wondering whether it works. Meaning, eliminate the highest 2 cogs with the limit screws... again... never tried, no idea whether it will work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I could use a 8 speed cassete for my old 7 spd touring bike. It'll fit and I can dream from there. PM me if it needs a home

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from 8-speed to 10-speed for $100 [buffedupboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
here is something else to consider: If you enter a flat TT, you can switchback to indexed and run only 8 of those 10 cogs.... never tried, wondering whether it works. Meaning, eliminate the highest 2 cogs with the limit screws... again... never tried, no idea whether it will work.

I don't think so. I believe the spacing is different. I have 7, 8, and 9 speed bikes that I change the wheels back and forth on. I just don't use the index, friction only, works fine for me. I am old enough that I remember when that is all we had! :~)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from 8-speed to 10-speed for $100 [LarryM96815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, except that 8 and 9 or 7 and 8 are close enough that the indexing will work. 7 and 9 will not work though as its too far different. I mix them all the time and still use index shifting. I have 9 speed barends with my 8 speed cassettes and 8 speed bar ends for my 7 speed Zipp 3000 wheels when I like to run them for fun.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Doug talk you into the 10-speed thing? He had a shiny new set on his Griffen last week. I rode with him last weekend and he mentioned his 400+ mile riding week he had out there in the desert...

I don't know whether to call you cheap or just more disciplined than me for riding that old 8-speed into the ground (I'm picturing all those old parts on that lovely new Yaqui frame)...Although there is a lot to be said for wringing every bit of "life" out of a part...I'm remembering your broken crankarm story...I'm just not sure I'd want to go into my biggest race of the year with gear that old (and with the mileage that you put on your gear)...

I CAN say that 12-23 and maybe even 12-25 in a 10 speed version WOULD be preferable to my 9 speed version here in the Quantico area...it seems that missing cog is just where I would spend a considerable amount of time in this terrain, at least right now...and the 42-25 is necessary for hills like that TBS hill, at least when its part of a 6 or 7 hour ride and you can't afford to blast it at hour 2 of the ride...I've ridden with my wife's SRAM 12-26 cassette for a couple of weeks...but at 9-speed...the gaps are just too jumpy for me...too much shifting altogether as well as double shifting in this up/down terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from 8-speed to 10-speed for $100 [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I would keep the J-Disc and stick with the 8-speed freewheel. That wheel was so light and fast you could use it on any course, any time. I rode it in some wicked crosswinds with nary an issue.

Actually, I still have 8-speed on my zipp disc. It's a 12-21 like the freewheel on the J-Disc and that covers most any conditions I have found in a race. If I was to enter a really hilly half-IM I might think about changing out the cassette, but otherwise it still works fine.

One thing I did notice was that the new cassette was really light compared to my old cassette or a freewheel. It was light enough that I wondered if anything was in the box.

I just finished up six hours up and down the mountains of the California desert here and it shifted fine. I was certainly happy to have the 25.

Chad
Quote Reply