Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

There's Ski box, why not bike box?
Quote | Reply
There are many types of ski boxes that you can have on the roof of your car, I have never seen a bike box. Does such a thing exist? Would have been really nice to have the bike on the roof of the car, and protected from rain and dust. If it could have doubled as a freight case for travelling by plane it would have been perfect.

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why you're not a millionaire, you dummy. You give away all your best ideas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bad idea. How much breaking down of the bike would you be able to get away with before it became a hassle and unusable?

Having it double as a plane case would be great, but it would be very difficult to fit the airline size requiremnts.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're boned now dude. Yakima and Thule are watching. ;)

Actually if you could bring it to market for less than 400, you'd have them both over a barrel. You can't touch either Thule or Yakima for less.

</*I'm not slow, I'm a better than average Clydesdale*\>
Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels had to go of, probably, nothing more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels to go in the box also, or inside the vehicle?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside the car? For me that would do the trick. And I think that it is possible to have your wheels sent seperately, or you could have them with you inside the cabin while flying?

I just hate the thought of my new Guru trilite on the top of the car!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm...you haven't looked very hard.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=973&subcategory_ID=4415

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=117&subcategory_ID=4415
Last edited by: Terry in MN: Apr 1, 05 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Packasport makes one. I was going to post a link and pic, but their website is under construction. www.packasport.com. I think it holds 2 bikes, but you need a monster truck, like a suburban. Guzzle, guzzle, guzzle.

Quote | Reply
Good call Terry! The only negative there would be for people who have no racks on their roofs...

Speaking of gas guzzling SUV's...scary story about energy crisis looming:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/7203633

</*I'm not slow, I'm a better than average Clydesdale*\>
Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, I have not, just started to think about it while walking the dog two hours ago :-) Thanks, that was close to what I wanted, but it looked like a little trouble to make the bike fit into that box? And no straps or anything to secure the parts from bouncing and sliding? Is it OK?

One could allways go for big ski box I guess. A bike would probably fit into that. And another box for planes.

And I have no monster truck. Not at all. That's the problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thule makes one...

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The parts/frame don't bounce around because they are all sandiwched between foam sheets, just like a TriCo Ironcase. The main reason cases for on top of the car like these are not too popular is because they'd be really awkward to get up there with a bike in there, OR becasue it'd be awkward to get a bike in the case if the case was already up there. Probably a neat invention would be a hitch-mounted bike box for the rear of vehicles. Keep them nice and dry and clean and more aero that way too.
Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [Target74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to that story from Rolling Stone. It was a great read. I know that there are conservitives out there that say phoooey to all this talk, but the next 50 years or so are going to be very interesting indeed.

North American oil and gas consumption is out of control. Try an imagine a world where India and China consumed oil and gas the way we do in North America. Scary.

The price of gas keeps creeping up but it has still not changed behaviour at all. People are still buying huge cars/trucks. People are still driving at excessive speeds. People are still buying houses hours away from where they work and driving back and forth every day. It will be interesting to see at what point the price of gas starts to impact these behaviours.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olav, this is the Elite box at I bought in 2002, it's very compact and yet large enough to have gotten UKGearMuncher's Large Giant Composite and all associated parts in. I have used it all over Europe , Brazil and the US and Canada with no problems. I know it is readily available in uk and Europe so I guess you could easily obtain it. The only advice I would give is to take the supplied foam sheet to an upholstery shop and get any extra one cut to keep the frame away from the top of the box, I did and it only cost £6 shaped to the original's outline.

Elite Travel Case

wiggle price £299.99

April Special Offer

Save 10% = £30.00
pay only £269.99

buy it with finance - £269.99

24 Months x £12.17
Deposit £27.00. APR 19.9%. for 0% Finance - add £130.01

0% Finance is available on all orders with a total value over £400.00 and Classic Credit on orders over £250.00
just select your finance option at the checkout.

• Keep your bike in the safest possible box for transport
  • Tough solid squash proof construction ensures trouble free travelling
  • Perfect for airline use with underside wheels to aid manoeuvring
  • Strong polythene construction with additional protection at corners and vunerable areas
  • Padding keeps everything in place to prevent scratching and movements of parts
  • Roomy enough to hold spares and other items

This box offers great protection to your bike and we are not aware of any instance of a bike being damaged while packed inside one. However, if subjected to very rough handling, the box itself may sustain damage. This is the fault of the baggage handlers, not of the box. If this happens, you will need to make a claim against the airline or your travel insurance.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The performance box looks as if it comes out of the same factory as the Elite travel case with each companies logo being the major difference. I have found it very easy to travel with by air and have not as yet paid for it to come with me, of course this is dependent on which airline you travel with. BA and Virgin allow it to be part of your weight allowance, I understand the US airlines are not as accommodating.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure do. Take my Renn, crosswind front and a spare front packed VERY carefully with the frame.

Quote Reply
Last edited by: LarryCalifornia: Apr 2, 05 10:59
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Eilte or performance it will be then.

Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are the wheels on the box? I have been using a bag but find my shoulders are almost dropping off after 5mins and they feel sore of a day or too - not great prep for a race! I did try a vk strong box but the wheels were not very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are most welcome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It fits nicely in the back of one of the newer Jeeps, the one that looks like a London Metrocab, with the rounded bonnet and lights. Sorry I don't know the model but I am not an SUV fan. It also fits in the back of an 87 VW Golf with the backseat down no problem.

If there are two of you with the same type of box you can have two in the back of an estate no problem.

Sorry, I have no other American cars that I can comment on. Get Tom D to answer, it was Mike Aderhold's Jeep.

Quote Reply
Re: There's Ski box, why not bike box? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from a squeek from one that is solved with a little oil, I have found them robust and no problem as yet. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they are replaceable.

Quote Reply