Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racewear in the heat/humidity
Quote | Reply
Honu (big island, 88F, very humid) is coming up in June. What to wear? I fade greatly in the heat, so staying as cool as possible is paramount.

I assume a one-piece skin/trisuit is out.

More or less shoulder coverage?

Very tight or actually a bit loose? Loose would come at a cost on the swim, though.

Hat or visor?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Racewear in the heat/humidity [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Keauhou Kona HIM last year (unfortunately in it's last year) & melted a bit myself. The hills they added to the run were brutal. I would recommend tight fitting tog's. I think it helps to have as much coverage as possible. The top should be light colored. You can pour water on the top & it will act like a radiator & cool you down. Oomphsports.com has some great gear (no affiliation with them, but have worn & liked their stuff). The shorts with the distance pad are very comfortable. Also, I think a white running hat is best. You can fill the hat with ice and then put it back on your head (can't do this with a visor). Make sure you cake on the sunscreen before the start & again in T2. Good luck & stay cool.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Racewear in the heat/humidity [TimW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, thanks. Just ordered some stuff from their site.

Any experience w/ the Halo hat? I find stinging sweat in my eyes when I run at 60F. Can't imagine what it's going to be like at 90F. I doubt wheather the Headsweats hat can handle it.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo. Can't go wrong with an itty bitty banana hammock.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I live it gets over 100 in the spring through fall. Light colors and loose rather than tight works better for me. Preferably a singlet type shirt. A light colored running hat. Nike makes a nice mesh hat that is cool and breathes.