Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wipperman chains on sale..
Quote | Reply
Guys,

I was just at the Performance Bike store earlier in the week and picked up a Connex 9X1 chain for $35. The 10x1 (whatever the 10 speed version is) was going for $40. Hope this helps.

Paul..

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chains on sale.. [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 10 sp is not supposed to shift well with Shimano. Wipperman is coming out (or is already out) with a chain for Shimano 10sp.

Mikael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a performance card, it's double points this weekend too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do SRAM.
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chains on sale.. [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seconding this motion...I love their PC99..used my last one on my recent Kestrel build and thought the last of the deals was long gone until I found them going for $25CAN at the bike show earlier this month. Stocked up to last me a while still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't see the bargin here. Excel Sports has the 10 speed for $35.00 and the nine speed for $25.00.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=11

These are the nickel chains rather than the stainless steel. I haven't heard anyone suggest that stainless chains are better. Are they?
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chains on sale.. [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wipperman Connex 10S1 (Shimano 10-speed chain): http://store.yahoo.com/...es/wi10ch10spfo.html

No affiliation (blah, blah, blah) but I have bought stuff from these guys and they do a good job.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajfranke,

The chain that you mentioned was nickel plated (908). I'm referring to the all stainless chain (9X1)

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know that and I think I pointed that out.

What I am asking is why someone would prefer a stainless steel chain enough to pay a lot more for it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four letter word called R-U-S-T

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never had a big problem with chains rusting. I do remember a thread on this site that talked about stainless steel being more brittle and more subject to breakage as a result.

Not sure if this is right or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote, "Four letter word called R-U-S-T"

Paul,

You should study up on the subject of drivetrain maintenance, especially chain cleaning and lubing your chain.

Frankly, a well maintained chain should not be rusting. Rust is a sign of a poorly maintained chain. Poor chain maintenance is not solved by going to stainless. You are only fooling yourself and falling victim to the marketing and advertising hype of stainless chains.

Add to this that a poorly maintained chain adds significant resistance and friction to peddling that must be overcome. Think power waste here. If you have aero wheels or an aero frame or are a weight weenie, why, when you permit a poorly maintained chain to rob you of power and minutes when you race.

Not only does a porly maintained chain wear your cassette and chain rings much faster, it also wears you down by sapping your strength over the course of your ride.

No offense intended. You need to clean up your act, I mean chain!

Disclaimer: I apologize to all other cyclists who compete against Paul and may now be at another disadvantage should Paul clean up his chain and ride faster. You can only hope that Paul is offended by my suggestion and ignores this advice.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Apr 1, 05 4:19
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chains on sale.. [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sheesh..! talk about killing the messenger.

First of all, i do keep my chains lubed. There is the unfortunate circumstance when i did get caught out in the rain once and had the chain covered with spots of rust. OK, maybe my chain at that time was not completely lubed, and i've switched lubricants now.

Now imagine that the stainless chain is the new bling-bling Giro Atmos helmet. Your old regular chain is one of those dorky kids X-Large helmet. Now they both do the job, but just that the Giro Atmos is wayy cooler looking and you feel more secure having it strapped on your noggin each time you go out for a ride. Lets also equate the rain as drunk drivers. Do u see how shit happens..?

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: Wipperman chains on sale.. [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Quote, "Four letter word called R-U-S-T"
You should study up on the subject of drivetrain maintenance, especially chain cleaning and lubing your chain.[/reply]

Slamming Paul for not cleaning and lubing his chain properly is pretty uncalled-for. If you live near the ocean you get salt spray on a daily basis. If you get caught in major downpours 50 miles from home like I did a couple of times, any lube on there can be stripped in a matter of minutes. I switched to the stainless 10x1 Wipperman because of bad experiences with Shimano 10sp chains insta-rusting after getting caught in a couple of huge storms near the coast. No lube is that good in Floriduh downpours, and nothing will withstand coastal salt air...other than a good piece of SS.

I've been using the Wipperman 10sp SS chain on my DA 10sp for the last year. With over 5000 miles on it I have 0.012" stretch on my "training chain." Plus the easy quicklinks make it trivially easy to pop the chain off and drop it in the parts washer. Durable, great shifting and easy to clean...what's not to like other than the $50 price tag?

Mad
Quote Reply