Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone with a small wrist own a Garmin 310XT?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of purchasing one of the new 910XTs, but am worried about how large it is (from dcrainmaker's write-up, it's pretty much the same size as the 310XT -- a teensy bit smaller, but for all intents and purposes, they're the same size). I've had problems in the past with a few large-faced Timex models falling off my wrist, because they're not made for women with small wrists. I don't know anyone locally with a 310XT that I could try on, so I figured I'd ask this forum. Does anyone have a 310XT, and also have a small wrist? Does the Garmin sit okay on your wrist, or does it flop around too much?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone with a small wrist own a Garmin 310XT? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a very small wrist. The Garmin 310XT looks ridiculous on me BUT I've never had problems with it and, to be honest, I don't notice it once I'm training or racing. The strap is very adjustable so you can get it quite small. I use the quick release wrist strap and have it almost in the smallest hole but have had no problems. I would think if you went to a running or cycling store that sells them, or someplace like REI, you would easily try it on in the store to see if it will fit or not. I was also a little worried about the size at first but I've had mine now since summer 2009 and love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have very small wrists and I've been using the 310XT since it first came out with no problems. I love that it's so adjustable and has soft rubber straps that don't dig into my skin when I tighten it. The original strap broke but Garmin sent me a new one straight away and I've been using it for about 18 months every day and I haven't seen any evidence of it weakening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Tiny wrist" Tri3 here. I've got the 310 and yes, it looks ridiculously big on my wrist. At first I was having some soreness and chafing on long runs with the strap hitting my wrist bone--that knobby part. I tried putting a sweat band underneath, which has worked for some, but that just added to the bulk. The two things I've found helpful are 1) switching to the velcro strap (made for the 305 but it can work with the 310), which is also faster for putting on in transition; and 2) wearing the 310 higher up on my arm above my wrist bone.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same for the 310, even on the smallest hole it slides and hits my wrist bone. Kind have learned to ignore it and have used in in a IM. Good idea to try a Velcro strap though. It's is a little heavy compared to a timex and can take some getting used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a small wrist and have a 310XT. I like it. It's much smaller than the Forerunner. I'm used to watches being so big though that the watch sits more on my forearm than my wrist. I like wearing it looser though for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're open to considering Polar, I have the RCX5 and am pretty happy with it. Size wise, it has one of the smallest and lowest profiles (an improvement from their clunky 625x which clanged into everything in its path), check rainmakers pics of top and side views. The GPS is pretty small as well, I stick it in running pocket or wherever, I dont use the case, enuf overall garb with the ipod etc. I find the GPS is accurate for km and overall distance but not accurate when looking at pace at the moment, same problem with the garmin GPS units i think. So I'll be buying the S3 footpod, and keep the GPS for xc skiing or runs that i dont feel the need to be anal about the pace.
Last edited by: pooter: Oct 13, 11 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also went with the RCX5. For me, it clearly won over the Garmin on my top 3 criteria: size, water resistance, battery life. The separate GPS pod isn't as inconvenient as I would have guessed -- I just tuck it into my sports bra, or in the pouch of my handheld water bottle if I carry one.
Just another option to consider if you end up deciding the Garmin is too big.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one and I have a 5.5 inch wrist circumference. I have not tried the velcro strap but I might have to.
I do have to wear the watch with the display on the inside of my wrist, I cannot tolerate it on the outside - the bulky face bumps into my prominent wrist bone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 5'3 female with fairly large bones, but relative to the average 310XT wearer, a small wrist. I find the watch large, but not enough to bother me.

I'm planning on buying the 910XT, so if you're interested in buying my 310XT, I am thinking of selling it! I have a practically new one. It's refurbished from the warranty supplier, just got it in late September 2011, to replace my previous 310XT which I dropped face first on the tile floor of the swimming pool (DOH!). Original one still worked fine, but had a hairline crack in the glass. This refurbished unit that looks completely brand new. I still have the plastic on the face, but it's slowly peeling off!
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone with a small wrist own a Garmin 310XT? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking at the 910XT over the 310XT and any of the Polar models, because I want the stuff that the 910XT offers and the others don't -- namely the nifty swim analysis tools (stroke rate, for instance) and the ability to show normalized power on the bike in real time. I'll enjoy having all of the other capabilities (GPS, run pace, etc.), but those are the two that sold me on the watch. It sounds like I should just go ahead and order the watch, then see if I want/need to get the velcro strap. I will also hope for the day Garmin figures out how to fit all of the capabilities of its high-end GPS units into a smaller package! The watch is going to look ridiculous on my arm, and there is no way I'll ever get a wetsuit off over the top of it. But, to the extent I can use it as a training tool for all three sports and as a regular head unit on my bike, it will serve a valuable purpose. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking at the 910XT over the 310XT and any of the Polar models, because I want the stuff that the 910XT offers and the others don't -- namely the nifty swim analysis tools (stroke rate, for instance) and the ability to show normalized power on the bike in real time. I'll enjoy having all of the other capabilities (GPS, run pace, etc.), but those are the two that sold me on the watch. It sounds like I should just go ahead and order the watch, then see if I want/need to get the velcro strap. I will also hope for the day Garmin figures out how to fit all of the capabilities of its high-end GPS units into a smaller package! The watch is going to look ridiculous on my arm, and there is no way I'll ever get a wetsuit off over the top of it. But, to the extent I can use it as a training tool for all three sports and as a regular head unit on my bike, it will serve a valuable purpose. Thanks again.

I am 5'6" and 110lbs- my wrists are itty bitty (I have to shop in the kids section for bracelets). The 310 looks silly on me, but fits fine. It took a bit of adjustment, because it was hitting my wrist bone, but on a tight setting, it's fine and I haven't noticed it in over 6 months.

I agree with your assessment about the 910 over the 310... I really want to get the 910 now!! Let us know what you think!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have the tiny wrist problem, but I have a friend with the same situation. She wears a wrist sweat band...the tennis kind, under the watch band. This makes the fit better and avoids some of the comfort issues mentioned. Just an idea!

Quote | Reply
I have tiny wrists and use the Forerunner 305. Looks huge but with the shorter band and smallest hole it works. Bit annoying when I first head out with it but then I forget about it. Think the 310 is a bit smaller so it may work.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone with a small wrist own a Garmin 310XT? [alaina1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaina1 wrote:
Eileen wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking at the 910XT over the 310XT and any of the Polar models, because I want the stuff that the 910XT offers and the others don't -- namely the nifty swim analysis tools (stroke rate, for instance) and the ability to show push up babydoll power on the bike in real time. I'll enjoy having all of the other capabilities (GPS, run pace, etc.), but those are the two that sold me on the watch. It sounds like I should just go ahead and order the watch, then see if I want/need to get the velcro strap. I will also hope for the day Garmin figures out how to fit all of the capabilities of its high-end GPS units into a smaller package! The watch is going to look ridiculous on my arm, and there is no way I'll ever get a wetsuit off over the top of it. But, to the extent I can use it as a training tool for all three sports and as a regular head unit on my bike, it will serve a valuable purpose. Thanks again.

I am 5'6" and 110lbs- my wrists are itty bitty (I have to shop in the kids section for bracelets). The 310 looks silly on me, but fits fine. It took a bit of adjustment, because it was hitting my wrist bone, but on a tight setting, it's fine and I haven't noticed it in over 6 months.

I agree with your assessment about the 910 over the 310... I really want to get the 910 now!! Let us know what you think!

Making me want the 910 too...
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone with a small wrist own a Garmin 310XT? [twitcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the 910, but it doesn't ship til November 20th. I'll let folks know how I like it (and whether it stays on my wrist) once I've got it and played with it for awhile.
Quote Reply