Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

advice
Quote | Reply
Have you ever noticed how people often tell you one thing then do something else? I was asking our clubs lead time trialler about aero equipment and he down played its roll particular in speeds below 25mph. Of course he uses aero wheels and/or a disk, a head fairing, skin suit, lycra overshoes etc.

Maybe he is just getting worried I will catch him - though he is almost 2 mins quicker over a 10m TT so I think I would need to put out a good few more watts of power to match his times :-)
Quote Reply
Re: advice [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He sounds like a cyclist and not a triathlete. Cyclists always seem to make things out to be worse than they are, or beat around the bush when it comes to advice. Triathlete always seem to be ready to help and be nice.

Just a broad generalization. I know a triathlete that won't say a word to anyone before, during or after a race. I know a cyclist that will ride at my slow pace and help me out with any questions I have.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: advice [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, just typical of folks who don't really know what in the hell they're talking about...they're just better than you so they can baffle you with bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused, you acuse him telling you one thing but doing the other, but he's the fastest on the team. I could understand your point if he had all the goods and was slow. To pick an actuall speed is wrong, but he is close to correct and physics will prove his point. Aero is aero, but gains are greatly diminished at under 23 and of course the faster you go, the better. OK my turn, Tri people are notorious at ignoring advice and spending loads of cash on gadgets that improve the industry, not their time.
Quote Reply
Re: advice [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm confused, you acuse him telling you one thing but doing the other, but he's the fastest on the team. I could understand your point if he had all the goods and was slow. To pick an actuall speed is wrong, but he is close to correct and physics will prove his point. Aero is aero, but gains are greatly diminished at under 23 and of course the faster you go, the better."

Of course, the reality is that the slower you go, the more time aero equipment will save you.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: advice [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero wheels come in really handy at 15mph, guess box rims and 36 round spokes are best over 30. Ken, what you smoking? And the slower you go, the longer it takes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Aero wheels come in really handy at 15mph, guess box rims and 36 round spokes are best over 30. Ken, what you smoking? And the slower you go, the longer it takes.[/reply]

The longer it takes, the more time is saved. This has been hashed out over and over. Going from a box rim to a disk wheel will save more time for someone going 20mph than for someone going 30mph. Do the math.

Here's some data from Cervelo's web site, relating to time saved over a 40K TT by using aero wheels:

http://www.cervelo.com/tech/articles/article5.html

You'll note that the Cat 1 (350W) saved between 1:06 and 1:19, while the recreational rider (150W) saved between 1:26 and 1:45.

Oh, the article was written by Jim Martin, if that name means anything to you.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right, doing one thing and saying something else.

Here's the real deal;

The psychological advantage of having cool looking aero shit is worth more than the actual aero/physical advantage gained by the equipment itself. For instance; if he has aero shoe covers but you have aero shoe covers with flames, you have an immediate advantage over 'Mr. TT Stud.' It has been scientifically proven that the lingering emotional damage of knowing that you are riding with less than optimal aero gear can cost you 1:00 over 20K.

Go out and buy all the gear this guy says has no benefit at less than 25MPH and them hand his ass to him at the next Club TT.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure he would be faster than most in the club with or without any aero aids. I just think its funny that when asked about aero stuff he says he doesn't see the point, but it doesn't stop him using it.

I currently have a goal system where I allow myself to buy some new stuff if I reach my next target. This year I have got some aero wheels, after reaching my next goal (+saving up enough $$) I might get a disk. Being an bike gear junky it acts extra motivation.
Quote Reply