Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

if cheap enough ...
Quote | Reply
would those of you (however few), on a budget still buy a lightly-used pair of rev-x's as race wheels?

if poor and buying used, would it be better to spend:

$225 on the spinergy's

$300 on zipp 400's

$350 on hed alps

$400 on hed/specialized(/nimble) trispokes

$500 on 404's

i'm just trying to see where the value per dollar is?
Quote Reply
Re: if cheap enough ... [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The golden middle!

I'd go for the Alps. The spinergys are plain dangerous (not because of failure but just imagine you crash into one of the blades? outch.........)

Plus, the Alps might do better in crosswinds (just my experience)

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to www.hedcycling.com and look at their closeout section. The prices are good. The wheels are used or the "trueness" was not to spec.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$300 on zipp 400's

Assuming the hubs and carbon are in good shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No no NO NO! Don't listen to them! Buy the slightly-used Rev-Xs!!!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: if cheap enough ... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in those very shoes a few years ago and went with the used Rev-X's (clinchers). Assuming the carbon is in good shape (especially where the 'spokes' meet the rim), the hubs well-maintained, and the wheels true, $225 is a steal. I've got 3 seasons of racing on them and I still think it's a great wheelset. Of course, a set of 404's for $500 is also a steal, as long as they're in good shape. The only negatives I can think of about the Spinergy's are: 1) they do catch a fair amount of cross-wind at speed due to the width of the spokes and rim depth and 2) if you need to get the rear hub rebuilt, I had a hell of a time finding the parts (Shimano 105 hub body). Other than that, they're sweet wheels - they feel fast, quiet and stealthy and the carbon really smooths out the high-end vibrations.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yours?

Why, as a matter of fact, I happen to have a pair listed in the Classified section of slowtwitch. Just a coincidence, I assure you.

(Also, I'll be in Delaware on 4/16 for the Brandywine Duathlon, if you really are Annapolis).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: if cheap enough ... [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm ballparking based on what i've been seeing on ebay and classifieds ... i suppose i could include the hed jet/deep combos i've seen go for less than $400 ... as far as cheap 404's ... you're right, those are generally going for more ... but then i'm likely not going to spend the 500 bones regardless (just buying a house, and it's going to suck some cash) ...

classifieds are difficult to keep track of and more expensive ... ebay is crazy ... sometimes things end at midnight and i forget - kicking myself later when the pair of hed-3's goes for $325, sometimes people bid up a pair of 400's that've been limping along below $200 up to $625 in 2 bids ...

all in all it's difficult to judge ... i just want to know where the bang for the buck really is in the used market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will make this short because I have typed up many messages on my brutal experience with the Spinergy's RevX's.

To summarize, the front wheel collapsed on me while I was going pretty fast. The wheels are flawed in design and and subject to collapse as a result. What broke the camels back for me is that Spinergy admitted fault but refused to replace the wheel. Unbelievably poor customer service and lack of concern for the riders.

As another note...there have been some studies that suggest that the RevX's (despite their appearance) are actual not that aero.

Your choice...my 2 cents.

Quote | Reply
If you aren't doing so already, I'd recommend checking out roadbikereview.com Their classifieds are pretty active - lots of good stuff at good prices and pretty high turnover - of course, there are scammers there as well, so beware. I wouldn't buy anything without actually talking to the seller first - I get a better feel for their legitimacy that way. That said, I've bought used gear online and haven't gotten burned (yet, I guess). As for the experiences with catastrophic wheel failure, I doubt they're making it up...all I can say is that I haven't had the same experience. If you do go with the Spinergy's and have a chance to see them in person, be sure to inspect the spoke/rim and spoke/hub junctures as well as the integrity along the entire length of the spokes. Good luck with the house purchase, and I hope you can find a workable wheel solution.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: if cheap enough ... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, really in annapolis ...

it's funny, a pair on ebay made me ask the question ... actually, i'd probably buy those from you ... however, on the 15th i think i'll be out at the jersey shore running a marathon-relay ... hmmm ...
Quote Reply