Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michelin Pro Race ?
Quote | Reply
what's going on : Everyone seems to be marking
these tires down.

I'm just a bit suspicious - is there something
I should know (Tom ? Anyone ? Bueller ?)

TIA

DB
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [dan IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "Pro Race 2" came out and they are getting good deals on the old model from distributors and from Michelin. I'm going to buy a few sets of Pro Race at these new prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to buy some Pro Races but ended up buying the Pro Race Lights. Check it out:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search_results.asp?man=mi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about - "They are junk"...I have a set on a pair of training wheels that I have, seems anything that is hard likes to get into the tire and cause a flat - hell, i got a flat from a small bit of salt that had gone thru the tread of the tire. I for one would never race on the Pro Race...

I really really perfer the Vittoria Corsa CX or I think it is now called the "Open Tubular" if I have to ride wheels that are clinchers. Even at half off a chunk of shit is still a chunk of shit.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez..I was looking for a reliable race tire and read about every post I could for recommendations. A sizable number of posters voted for the Michelins and many of them commented on their durability. So I just bought some cheap last week. Maybe if it's your time to flat, it'll happen regardless. I live in goathead hell, and train on solid core tires. I probably pull something out of those tires after every 2 hours of riding.
Last edited by: JDub: Mar 23, 05 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with every word you've said.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most reliable tyres I've ever used and I'm a big guy. All my clinchers wheels use them.

Anyone know the difference between the old one and the new 2 ? I'm assuming it's just weight ?
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry - too many variables and opinions here. They have been around for a LONG time. I'm not currently using them, but put over 4,700 miles on a pair (on Ksyrium SCs) with lots of riding in 6 different states (deserts of NV, harsh midwest roads in OH, Florida, KY, NC) with only ONE rear flat from a glass puncture. I have now been through 2 pair. They seem pretty damn durable to me too.

Quote | Reply
I love 'em...started with the Axial Pro's and stocked up on them when they came out with the Pro Race and dropped the price. Now, it's time to stock up on the Pro Race's since the Pro Race 2 has come out. They feel good on the road, they're grippy in the corners, and from my experience, they last a pretty good while. Since you're in IL as well, we probably ride alot of the same roads - Michelin's have always been good to me. If you can stand the powder blue color, Performance has 'em for about $22, and La Bicycletta has the disco green Axial Pro's for $15.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about - "They are junk"...I have a set on a pair of training wheels that I have, seems anything that is hard likes to get into the tire and cause a flat - hell, i got a flat from a small bit of salt that had gone thru the tread of the tire. I for one would never race on the Pro Race...

I guess there is a bell curve to everything. I've been on Pro Race (and its predecessor models) for going on 15 years. I just love those tires. I was just thinking through my "flat rate" the other day. I figure it's about once every 50 rides, and half of my flats are pinch flats from banging into junk or a pothole. So, once every 100 rides for something coming through the tread? That's not so bad, if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have over 4000 miles on a set of Pro Race and never flatted....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had puncture issues with them as well. The bigger issue was not the flat itself. My issue was that they often got cut beyond use. There's nothing worse than putting on a new tire and having to replace it after a handful of rides. This is what caused me to switch. Aside from this issue, I found they rode well.

I've switched to Vittoria Diamante's and have been much happier. Similar price point, a bit lighter, fewer punctures, and much less of an issue with cuts through the tire's carcass forcing immediate replacement. They even handle more pressure for those who like to run more than 110PSI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on the Michelin Pro Race now for about 4 years with ZERO incidents, despite plenty of gritty, grimy, sloppy, glass-laden road shoulder riding.

Crap, now I've done it...I'll have a flat next outdoor ride... ;-)

Seriously... I don't doubt R10Ti had a crappy experience...but I wouldn't equate that to the tires being crappy. My experience and observation of others riding these tires says much differently. Frankly, I could cite a friend's crappy experience with the Vittoria Corsa CX that R10Ti espouses...I doubt that would be indicative of that tire's quality either.

R10Ti just hates the French! ;->
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train on them too and used to race on them untill I went to the other type of tire.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your freind French?

But boy I did like the good old Michelin Hi-Lite Supercomp HD (amd I aging myself?)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a reat tire.

When I was training seriously years ago, I trained on bomb proof Conti clinchers( 1000's or something like that. Can't remember the model)They were, cheap and I rarely flatted, Now I ride for fun and fitness and I want a sporty tire that has good road feel - sort of like a race tire. These tires deliver that, and they are surprisingly durable.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"R10Ti just hates the French! ;->"

Yeah, but he uses TIME pedals and TIME shoes. He doesn't hate the French that badly. I think he even reads Jacques Lacan!

Maybe not Lacan, but he certainly likes those TIME products.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
How about - "They are junk"... [/reply]
I guess there is a bell curve to everything. I've been on Pro Race (and its predecessor models) for going on 15 years. /clip/ So, once every 100 rides for something coming through the tread? That's not so bad, if you ask me.[/reply]

Once every 100 rides is about right for me also, although I did have one get sliced almost completely in half by a large piece of steel that I couldn't avoid. I've been riding on the Carbons mostly for training, and Pro Race for the actual races. But I also train some on my racing wheels, and probably put 1500 miles a year on them. The Axial Pros were way too delicate for me, I gave up on them after the 3rd flat...but the 700x18c SupercompHDs before that were bombproof. In probably 15,000 miles on a couple of sets them I had 1 flat...when I hit a BRICK!

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Mar 24, 05 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro Race ? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bike race on Pro Race, because they are grippy and very supple on corners. I don't think they are designed for a training tire, although I see where some folks get a bunch of miles out of them. I prefer the Bontrager hardcase tires for training, or if riding on the Big Island, Specalized Armadillos. AKA Flintstone tires as they ride so hard.

It is amazing to me people make statements like they are "shit tires" because when I ride them in the combatzone they go flat. I think probably 90% of us ride too light of tires for the conditions. Salt is not that much different than glass, sanded and graveled roads increase punctures, as does wet surfaces and this time of year there is so much crap on the roads, we should all be riding the toughest tires we have in stock. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had horrible luck (?) with the Pro Race. They just get sliced and diced incredibly fast. Most rears didn't last more than 300-400 miles before needing replacement. Complete garbage as far as I'm concerned.

ot
Quote Reply