Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I am with you on this. I was just pointing out the obvious.

"So, Tiger how is the swing"?

Of course the compensation for enduring these mindless questions day in and day out for 10+ is not too bad.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the compensation for enduring these mindless questions day in and day out for 10+ is not too bad.

Yes, and what's more, the questions aren't much more repetitive than those faced by most husbands. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn...looks like i agree with you...but what kind of cleats does he wear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Bonds plays the race card nearly every time he opens his mouth.<<

Nearly every time? A bit of a stretch don't you think? I wasn't referring to the most recent "5 sec clip". Huh, must have missed that one.

>>doesn't excuse the fact that he uses that crappy excuse all the time<<

I'm not excusing him nor defending him. Anyway, my point is that if he's a butthole it's because he's a butthole(.) Not a black butthole, white ", yellow ", purple ", nor green ". Nor because he used the race card, "cause I'm a black man tryin' to feed my family." Not denying that some of his interviews have been very excuse laiden. I'm not buying the whole victim thing either. But really, who cares? He is saturating the news. I just change the channel when he pops up. I think he is playing the game. Just as the media knows what buttons to push, so does he. If he sees no fault regarding his role in the situation, that's on him to deal with it.

Where is the rulebook on this race card? Is it trumped by calling a spade a spade? The old, I see your race card but my race card identifying card beats it. So nah. Whatever. The circle is silly & useless.

I heard Barry is cycling this year to help him recover from his knee surgery. I guess that is why this crap isn't in the Lavender Room.

Excuses are tools of incompetence... and I don't use them

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are a lot of guys who came in second or third in MVP voting who said they were totally clean of roids and HGH that want the money that Bonds has claimed for the past seven or eight years. Try using your argument on them.
And you believe them?

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't gain 30-40 pounds of muscles and an acne problem in their 30's. The ones that retired didn't start looking like the thin man lik McGuire, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm officially over baseball and all pro sports (except cycling, running, and triathlon). these giant babies sicken me and are full of attitude, self righteousness and greed. like I said, it sickens me, and I could care less if I ever go to a pro baseball game again...especially the reds--i hate the new stadium, paying 7 bucks for a shitty beer, and 5 bucks for a crappy half cold hot dog. no thanks...the public has been snowed enough.
I'd go to a Reds game just for the Skyline Chili they now serve...mmmmm. Instead of that Gold Star shite they had for so many years. And what about Montgomery Inn BBQ?!?!? The best in the world by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you name any names??? Who are these aggrieved "clean" players?

And don't think that sudden weight gain is the only sign that an athlete is using roids...all it tells me about Bonds is that he began using them late in his career. If a guy is big coming out of college he probably began using in college or in high school.

Bonds didn't cheat any other players. The players union have conspired with the leagues to ignore drug use for years; without going on ESPN and announcing it, they gave players their unofficial blessing to use whatever they wanted to use if it meant they could hit the ball further and put more bums on seats. Every player in baseball was free to use whatever he wanted, nobody was at a disadvantage.

Events outside baseball (Balco) eventually took over and the house of cards collapsed.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I go to a lot of giant’s games with my 7 year old son. I make sure he knows that Barry is NOT a hero or a roll model. No athlete is a hero, unless you count folks like the Hoyts. To look up to a ball player as anything more than a ball player is not a good idea for kids. I am the roll model for my kids and I try to live my life so that I can be a good one for my children. Not that I always succeed but unlike Barry, at least I try.

Dave

Nicely said, Dave. Cheers to you.
Last edited by: Ashburn: Mar 23, 05 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry Bonds has said that he doesn't like Boston because Bostonians are all racists.

- "I'm black. they don't build things for blacks."
- "Boston is too racist for me,'' he said. "I couldn't play there.''

He has said that he thinks he doesn't get the attention he deserves for holding the single season record at 73 because Mark McGwire (who broke the decades old record) is white.

He has said that reporters only target him for steroid conversation because he's black.

He has said that people don't want him to break Babe Ruth's and Hank Aaron's records because he's black. Never mind that Hank Aaron was black.

He has made a point of saying he has had to go through "a little more" than white people because of his color.

Bonds keeps bringing up race. Nobody else does, because it's pretty obvious that it's the size of his gargantuan cranium that arouses suspicion, not the color of his skin.

He has however confirmed to the press that his nuts haven't shrunk, so that's something, I guess. ;-)

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may not like him, envy him or want to emulate him, but he is the best ever to play the game of baseball... roids or not.

period!

And yah McGuire, Sosa, Palmero, the killer B's and ect all took em!

Its funny how everyone pig piles on the whisle blowers... Canseco and Manzano (sp) and say they are just doing it for the cash only.

When a HS kid decides to take roids, its not because of what they see in Baseball Weekly. Its to get the muscles that the guy has in the M&F magazine or to have Bi's (and the chicks that go with it) like Arnold not Bonds. Get some perspective people. Has anyone picked up a M&F mag lately... fricking monsters! I am going to call my Senator and see what they can do :)

Let the flaming begin...
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To
I go to a lot of giant’s games with my 7 year old son. I make sure he knows that Barry is NOT a hero or a roll model. No athlete is a hero, unless you count folks like the Hoyts. To look up to a ball player as anything more than a ball player is not a good idea for kids. I am the roll model for my kids and I try to live my life so that I can be a good one for my children. Not that I always succeed but unlike Barry, at least I try.

Dave

OK I need to take back that Hero statement. Here are 2 athletes my son looks up to, Lon Freemen and Tony O'Keeffe, #2 and #3 at the 04 Ultraman. He was crewing for Lon with me and he really thought Tony was a cool guy. Chris is helping them pick up the pace hear at about mile 42 of the run on day 3.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Bonds : I'm a victim [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were several on the news and ESPN during the congressionial testimony interviewed for opinions and quoted in editorials. I'm providing as much proof as you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who...Jeff Bagwell???? Adrian Beltre???? Gary Sheffield??? Manny Ramirez??? Jim Edmonds???

All clean as driven snow I'm sure.

Neither of us are proving anything. You are speculating that Bonds took drugs, I am speculating that a lot of other players did too.

The only verifiable facts in this whole debate are;

1. Aside from Giambi, Caminiti and Canseco, everyone is claiming innocence and

2. Baseball, owners, players and union, all turned a blind eye to the presence of drugs in their sport and in many instances actively encouraged usage.

I remain unconvinced that Bonds cheated anyone. Yeah he's a world class jerk and his own worst enemy, but for other players to whine that he cheated them out of anything is laughable.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good research SG. Do you feel better? :-) You have completely missed the point that was directed to the OP. The racecard is not the reason that BB is getting all of the attention that he does. It's his attitude and ignorance! I just get tired of hearing people exploit use of the dreaded racecard. Does it matter who strikes first? When condescending comments are made such as the one made by the OP who did bring race into the discussion, I just don't think that it's cool, black, white, or other. Pulling or confirming that the race card has been pulled is a complete waste.

"He has made a point of saying he has had to go through "a little more" than white people because of his color." This one could be an entirely new thread on a different forum but I digress.

Mark McGwire isn't receiving the same amount of attention as BB because MM has a different personality, not because he is white. BB's situation is further blown-up because of the off-color/controversial remarks that he has made throughout his career. Baseball is boring right now and it's a shame that this will drag on until someone big goes down whether it's BB, MM, Sammy...

IMO BB is being targeted because he is the biggest name in baseball and doesn't know when to let his lawyers speak for him/not make an a$$of himself I MEAN plead the 5th. :-)

Oh yeah, I know people with large domes that don't roid up.

Do skulls really continue to grow after puberty or are people just fat-headed? ;-)

No more BB for me. He doesn't deserve this much attention! GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply

Prev Next