Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Headset question
Quote | Reply
I'm using a threadless Cane Creek S6 headset--came w/ my trek 5500. My problem is that I can't seem to get it screwed on tight enough to keep my fork from moving without causing my handlebars to lock-up. Does that make sense? If I tighten the top bolt too much the steering gets stuck, if I don't I can feel the steerer tube shifting forward when I brake. Am I missing something here? Does this have something to do with spacers? Should I lubricate the casette bearings? Should I lubricate something else? Maybe I'm missing a part?

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: Headset question [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
99% chance is that you have brinelling (pitting) in your bearing races. That means that you will need to have a new headset installed (this is typically not a user replace item). I would suggest the Chris King head set as it has a 10 year warranty on it...they are damn near bomb proof.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 quick thoughts:

1. something is broken up front causing the movement you feel

2. headset cups are not fully seated and are crooked in the frame. Makes proper adjustment impossible.

3. head tube is not milled properly and cups can't seat squarely

4. aheadsets are VERY sensitive and proper adjustment can be less than 1/8 turn away from binding or flopping depending on the headset. Roller bearings are the worst that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you loosing your stem? the top bolt loads or removes the play then the stem bolts are tightened to hold the adjustment,once the stem is holding the fork sterrer tube the top bolt is not really doing anything
Quote Reply