Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has Tyler changed the definition of ...?
Quote | Reply
wimp? Should we expect Beloki to ride tomorrows stage with a broken femur?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Has Tyler changed the definition of ...? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm sorry, but...drugs??

drug free since '73
Quote Reply
Re: Has Tyler changed the definition of ...? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should ask that, because in the few minutes when I wasn't sure if Lance had gone down with Beloki(OLN's online coverage lagged a bit) I was thinking about whether he would have gotten up and continued if he was hurt, but (obviously) not as bad as Beloki. After all he's been through, you'd expect him to be able to suffer well, but would he?

Then I saw the cyclocross derring-do, and the question was answered for me. You can say what you want about Lance, but as far as I am concerned, all the Posties(including former Postie Tyler) are hard-core guys who will/have ridden through all kinds of damage, and they just keep pulling.

Tyler, though, is a bit off the end with respect to his riding through very serious and painful injuries. While the peak racing years are limited for anyone, and based on his riding so far, he still has a chance on the podium, you have to consider what long-term or permanent damage he may be doing to himself by continuing, and what his quality of life will be when he hangs up his helmet.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Has Tyler changed the definition of ...? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, I don't see much risk of any long term damage on riding with a broken collar bone, other than he may not be able to get a job modeling tight shirts due to deformity and callus formation. the only real medical risk to him as I see it is: 1. Pneumothorax if that bone pokes into his lung. but he would probably keep riding with a chest tube if it were not a tension pneumo. 2. Bleeding affecting performance, but this clearly is not happening. and, 3. risk of another fall due to distraction due to pain. The docs are watching him with probably more amazement than everyone else.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Has Tyler changed the definition of ...? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamilton (being an American) has been getting alot of press, which is all well reserved. But when it comes to riding with injury, I'm rooting for Jimmy Casper. Who knows what is more painful, neck brace or broken collarbone. But it is definitely mentally tougher to race when you are dead last than in the top 10. Not sure on J. Casper TDF past but Hamilton said early on 'Been there, Done that' when it came to riding the tour just to finish.

They both get my respect.

Too bad for Beloki, he was looking good.

maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Has Tyler changed the definition of ...? [mauric6943] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maurice,

I agree both or very tough. Sad news, Casper withdrew today
Quote Reply