Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Shipping Question
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if FedEx, UPS, et al. are liable if they lose your bike during shipment and you haven't purchased insurance? I know that if it's damaged and you didn't buy insurance, you're SOL, but I have heard that the risk of loss is with the carrier. I may be being penny wise, pound foolish, but I trust my bike packing skills and the cost to insure the bike actually exceeds the shipping costs.

Thoughts?

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shipping Question [chrisc70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course not! If you don't declare the value up front, why should they? The limit of liability for FedEx is $100, unless you declare a value higher than that. It's probably about the same for UPS. And the additional charge for a higher declared value is really not that much (for FedEx Ground at least). On a $1000 package, it's $3.60. I would most definitely not ever ship a bike without specifying the proper declared value. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shipping Question [chrisc70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent a bike to California via the regular postal service here in Canada and was able to insure the full value. The cost wasn't that much in order to have peace of mind.
Quote Reply