Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Zone Training - How Long to see results?
Quote | Reply
Quick History - Rolled off the couch in '99 at 5'9" and 220#. Started walking to lose weight, bought a HR monitor based on some "Men's Health" articles which said I should be in a "fat burning zone." Avg HR at a 3mph walking pace was 130-140.

Fast forward to Fall '02, I had lost 20#, but still was overweight at 200#. Decided I needed to take up a sport which would allow me to eat anything I wanted and still lose weight. Dieting was for the birds. Triathlon was the answer, even though I didn't know how to swim or run.

Start running Fall '02 - all runs were done at an avg HR between 160-185bpm. Continually injuring myself. Start reading everything triathlon.

July '03 find Phil Maffetones book on Training for Endurance and finally realize that I'm doing everything wrong and too fast for my fitness level. Time to start sucking it up and Heart Zone train even if that mean's running 13 min miles to stay in my "aerobic" zone. Start doing the MAF tests, all training is done aerobically, stopped lifting weights every thing is done aerobically for at least 9 months and I do see results....

Results being that I'm running a 4 mile MAF test at 9:30 pace rather then a 13:00 pace at the same AVG HR of 147.

So now it's March of '05 and yes I'm still packing a few extra pounds at 180#. I go out for a run and my HR still shoot's above 150 whenever I approach anything faster then 9:30-9:45 pace or the slightest incline happens.

I'm thinking that maybe I hit a plateau a few months ago, but since I was in my off season I didn't realize it and now need to add a couple of weeks of high intensity to shock the system...

It's just so damn annoying going out on a group run where people are running 8:00 training pace at a HR of 130 and I can't even keep up!!!

I know I've seen results, my walking warm up before my runs are around 105-110, so in 5 years, I've gained 20 or 30 beats.

All I want to be able to do is run with my new found friends at a good clip and not go anaerobic....

I really do know the answer.... patience.... commitment.... consitency.... time..... How long does it take to train that heart?
Last edited by: TargetGoingLong: Mar 16, 05 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Zone Training - How Long to see results? [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're going to get grilled over following the MAF method on this board but i've had some success with it. eventually you will plateau on doing just aerobic work as per phil which means you're ready for an anaerobic phase of training. shouldn't last more than 6 weeks and not more than 10% of overall volume. then you can go back to your aerobic trng. hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Zone Training - How Long to see results? [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds to me like you are just doing great and have come a long way.

I would suggest mixing in some higher HR, say 155 to 160, running one or two days a week for a while. Then you will probably break through a plateau and be able to go back to aerobic training at a faster pace.

You didn't mention your current weight. If you are still heavy, that will limit you big time.

This process is slow and discouraging, especially when you are old like me. I have been chipping away for five years now. I am almost at the level I figured I would be after five weeks, so things are looking great.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Zone Training - How Long to see results? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"you're going to get grilled over following the MAF method on this board"

This coming from someone who is coached by a reputable high ranking AG who supports LSD training;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense, but it sounds like you are not training your lungs. VO2Max is key, esp for shorter, harder efforts. You need to run at VO2Max threshold in order to increase your VO2Max. There is a strong correlation between VO2Max and performance, less so for marathon/IM/Ultra distances.

I have at least 1 run a week where I run hard (tempo, hills, intervals, 5k race, whatever suits me that week). I would suggest you ditch the HRM and go run hard(ish) for 30min. Then next week, do it for 40min. By hard(ish) I mean hard enough that you cannot talk while running (need... to... breathe...) but that you can finish the run at the same sustained pace. For me, that's either my leg&lung busting 9k hill run or a 22min 5k (which is fast for me). I don;t even bother with the HRM for those runs. I wore it once for a 5k race, and scared the crap out of myself. So I don't bother with HRMs for those VO2Max efforts. If you just have to wear it, I believe you want to be running around 95% of HRR (HR reserve) for those runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first of all, i was, was coached by a top ager (past tense). and he does not advocate just lsd. have you read his book? man, there's a alot of z4 work (a full 10% of total volume but usually 3-4X/wk) training for im. phil wouid not be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Zone Training - How Long to see results? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey AP - how'd your race go?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patience.... based on my personal improvement, another year or so to get to 8:00 min/mile

commitment.... another 30 lbs or so off will make a huge difference

consistency.... run 4x a week minimum if you're not already. I found upping my frequency to 5 runs per week made a huge difference from 3x a week even though the overall run time wasn't that much more. Run a 3 mile TT on a track every 6 six weeks to plot improvement.

time... work on core strength if not already. this really helps to hold good form on long runs.

13+ to 9:30. That's a huge improvement. You can expect it to get harder and harder to make gains as you get faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long does it take to train that heart?

For an older person who has been inactive, with no athletic background and put on some weight - it takes years. You have pointed out the key things:

- Patience

- Commitment

- Consistancy

Stick with it. There are no secrets, really. Maffetone is a good place to start, but I would suggest not being a complete slave to his principals.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Zone Training - How Long to see results? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, since it wasn't *really* a race, I took it easy and it went well. 3min off my 1500m swim time, that's a good start. Took the bike very easy, very conservatively. I really noticed the lack of power in my aerobars, esp. coming North on Marine (and wwe had a headwind too - ugh). I'm getting fit for Profile Jammer GTs tomorrow at LaB (thank god). Came off the bike passing OLY distance runners ;-) that always feels good. 5h15. Run was a few K short, swim was 500m short, bike was about 5k short. So it was fast for me (I am queen slowpoke). Should be able to kick 6hrs no problem in August, might have to tighten up my goal time (hee hee).

Great weather day too.
Quote Reply