Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa Trainer
Quote | Reply
A while back someone commented on the Vasa Swim Trainer. I mentioned that it moved too slowly to gt a good swim workout on land.

Yesterday Ron Slaemaker, the president of Vasa Swim Trainer, e-mailed me to bring me up to speed on their new equipment. The old trainer did in fact move slowly. The new models are able to adjust for speed and intensity and do deserve your investigation. They are big (over 7 feet). If you have the room and money put one in your living room or basement.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Trainer [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the Vasa trainer work I ever did during my swimming days left me with sore or injured shoulders. And changes to the Vasa to take the pressure off the front portion of the stroke to relieve stress on the rotator cuff?

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey doug,

what's your view on stretch chords when you can't get to the pool for a dryland swim workout?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Trainer [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hasbeen,

I experienced the same problem with my old trainer. I have not had an opportunity to use the new one yet. The problem is too much pressure at the beginning of the stroke. If the new trainer is designed properly the resistance should get progressively harder. In swimming the initial flexion of the wrist and catch is non propulsive. If you get into your stroke too soon you will create too much stress on the long head of your biceps tendon (swimmers shoulder). Once your set the stroke up drive your arm (hand and forearm) back.

I will check with Ron to see if his machine works progressively faster.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Trainer [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hershal34,

My stretch cords are premanently attached to my doorway chinning bar. I just move my wife's dry cleaning hangers out of the way and I can do a workout. They are great.

I use long (10-15 feet) stretch cords so that they move smoothly. The longer the stretch cord the more it feels like swimming.

I also use a metronome for cadence. I set it a 104 beats per minute which gives me 52 pulls per minute. Always keep your elbow up, flex your wrist and pull back to your hip.

If you have room make a bench with a slight incline. You can lie down and take the stress off your lower back.

I once maxed out with a 1,000 reps with a moderate resistance.

You can make your own by going to a surgical supply store or go online and look for companies that sell tubing. I use Lifeline International for my stretch cords. They are in Madison Wisconsin.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how does that work - attached to the chinning bar, i mean. i always thought that it would work better at shoulder height when you bend over. so, i have mine wrapped around the post on the first stair in my house. when i bend over, facing the post, it's level with my shoulder. does that make sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Trainer [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to have may stretch cords higher so that it is easier for me to keep my elbows up. I also get a stretch in my chest with each pull.

DougStern
Quote Reply