Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

foot / IT band / running question
Quote | Reply
I've been fighting ITBS for months now. After four physical therapy appointments, massage, stretching, strengthening, ice, rest, etc. it just wasn't getting any better. I started looking at how I run. I'm a forefoot striker with high arches and land first on the outside of my foot. My steps are pretty close to inline with each other. The IT Band's job is to keep the leg from bowing out too much at the knee (the way I understand it anyway). So I started thinking that my running style (specifically landing on the outside of my foot) puts a lot of stress on it.

Since I was out of options with the season coming up I decided to try to change my running style landing more on the inside of my foot and moving my steps a few inches apart. It takes a little concentration but so far I am slowly building up my mileage again with no pain.

Does this make sense to those of you with more knowlege in the area?

The way I understand them "motion control" shoes are for just the opposite landing style and low arches. Should I look into orthodics?

More info: I have size 12 (US) narrow feet, 6', 178 lbs, last year was my first season (up to 1/2IM) and had zero injuries, the ITBS flared up for the first time ever when I stepped up my mileage one day a few months back
Quote Reply
Re: foot / IT band / running question [Pony Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for your itb, you still need to stretch and strengthen it (think jane fonda leg lifts, and there are a ton of good references around on the board for stretches). but alot of your injury does have to do w/ your biomechanics. to start of with, you need to be in a heavily cushioned shoe. i like the mizuno wave rider, wave creation, and the brooks radius (i too have high arches and am built similarly to you). the fact that you land on the outside of your foot is partially due to your tight itb. i'm betting that you also walk w/ your feet slightly splayed out to the side. by stretching that itb further, it should help change how you run. in addition, you are putting stress on that itb by landing w/ your feet relatively close to the midline of your body. during your gait cycle, you should think of your legs and feet as cycling on two seperate planes, both directly perpindicular to the ground (dont get too excessive w/ this and start running bowlegged tho! ;) ) that should help, and good luck w/ your recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: foot / IT band / running question [dirtrunr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I meant to include that I now have an extensive set of new running shoes in an effort to find a cure. I've been stretching the IT band as much as possible including using a foam roller. The biomechanic changes seem to show the most promise at this point. Would orthodics help? I really don't want to use them if I don't have to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my opinion, orthotics will probably not make much of a difference. they're generally designed for just the walking motion, which is much different than the gait cait cycle of running. they may provide some relief, but do nothing to solve the underlying problem (which is: 1. the tightness in your itb solved by stretching and 2. the lack of shock absorption of your feet caused by your high arches) in addition, orthotics are quite expensive and are often not covered by insurance. (note, this opinion will probably differ from others on this site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. With a forefoot strike I can't see that orthodics would do much either. By the way, my physical therapist doesn't like the forefoot strike or pose method. He thinks it puts too much stress on the calf and IT band. I mentioned that it seemed to take stress off the knee joint though. I think it was the first time he had encountered the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The source of ITB trouble is not the ITB itself, rather trouble in another area. The most common areas are the ankle and/or hip. If you stretch the ankle and hip well and keep the inflamation of the ITB down, the problem will correct itself. Always treat the cause, not the symptom.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Re: foot / IT band / running question [Max V. O'Two] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stretch the hip well (along with hamstrings, quads and calves) but what specific stretches do you recommend with the ankle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had orthotics made to speed up the roll from outside of foot to inside. I think I strike the same way as you. Forefoot, outside edge. I've had stress fractures in the 5th met before (outside of foot) from striking out there and being stuck by "motion control" shoes. SO, if you land out there, the shoe keeps you there, not good.

Another useful change was landing more midfoot than forefoot. This took some time to do since I was a sprinter for 8 years and used to running on my toes.

I run in racing flats w/ the orthotics now and have no problems.

Another ?, are you riding, and if yes, how do you know it's not from cycling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had great success with orthodics and my ITB as have a good number of other guys that I know in my area, and two in my office who are much faster than I am. You need to find a podiatrist who understands running. Its definitely worth checking into if the problems persist. It was nearly an instant fix for me. I was literally back into the 10+ mile runs in a week.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Re: foot / IT band / running question [douglashilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's never bothered me while riding. Even at it's worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a sprinter too and had ITBS 2 years ago. My physical therapy focused on strengthening my quads and improving flexibility w/ lots of stretching before and especially after workouts.

Here is a link I found useful: http://www.physsportsmed.com/...2_00/fredericson.htm

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stretch I use (and found when I had ITBS) is this:

While sitting on the floor, cross one leg by putting the top of your right foot on your left thigh, then gently push you right knee toward the floor...you should be able to see the bottom of you foot. You should feel a stretch on the outside of you ankle and also in you hip area. You can increase the range by raising the left leg (instead of having it flat on the floor, bend your knee) and pushing further on the right knee.

This has really helped stave off bouts with ITBS for me.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, orthotics are covered by most insurance companies (at least the $10,00 a year that I make!). Insurance companies are finally seeing the wisdom in prevention (not to mention numerous articles now on their effectiveness and cost/benefit analysis). Also, they most certainly can be made for running (see other posts). But ... I also don't think orthotics will help you much based on your description. However, your biomechanical "testing" is intriguing. A neutral device with a forefoot post may help you some.