Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail Runs in Phoenix?
Quote | Reply
I am going to be in Phoenix this weekend for SF Giants Spring Training and am wondering about any good trail networks in the area. I will have a car and I'd love to see some of the desert via trail. I love to climb and 6-10 miles is about ideal for the time I'll have. Any help would be great. I've never been to the area.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Last edited by: MtTamRnr: Mar 15, 05 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Runs in Phoenix? [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
South Mountain has some great running trails; Desert Classic is fairly flat on the south side of South Mountain, National Trail is steeper and more challenging. If you're going to run there, you probably want to park at the 'ramadas' that are near Guadalupe and 48th Street. Bring your own liquid refreshment and have fun. Other places are Trail 100 or McDowell Mountain Park.

Geoff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the recommendation for South Mountain. From the ramadas at the 48th Street entrance ("Pima Canyon"), head west for 1.1 miles on the fire road, then look for the sign to National Trail. Since you're not familiar with the area, I'd just do an out and back on that - from the trailhead at the end of the fire road, it is about 3.5 miles to Buena Vista Lookout - mostly uphill. Nice views there and all the way through. There is no water there or anywhere except the ramadas, so you'll probably want to carry some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you love to climb, take the Ridgeline trail. It goes up only to go down again for at least 45min. You can get to it from Beverly Canyon trail, just take the first Rt off of Beverly Canyon from the 46th St. parking area.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I should get to run Fri and Sat at least so I'll try a few of the trails. I'm looking forward to it.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Phoenix area has dozens and dozens of trail running opportunities. If you are in the south, South Mountain is great (but crowded on the weekend). If you can head north, I recommend Spur Cross Ranch in Cave Creek. This is a new park that opened last fall. There is water in Cave Creek. I would also recommend Cave Creek Rec area off Carefree Highway. Take the 6 mile Go John Trail - some of the lushest desert in Phoenix.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Runs in Phoenix? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cave creek recr area, go john trail is +/- 7 miles, nice and rolling and a bit of bouldery part that's fun if you're not prone to sprained ankles.

pemberton trail in mcdowell mtn park - 16 miles or so, not technical but some moderate climbing

go to dynamite and pima rds in north scottsdale, run up the power lines as far as you want- 30ish miles to barteltt lake dam if you are up to it

__

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply