Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k?
Quote | Reply
$400 more puts me in a p2k. is it worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [fmastrangelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know, but to add to the confusion, you can get a good aero front wheel for $400.

Which is faster- the Dual with an aero front wheel, or the P2K with stock wheels?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [fmastrangelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you comfortable on your Dual? Does the P2K do something your dual doesn't?

I ride a P2K, I love it, but that is my dedicated TT/Tri bike. I have another for road races and one for CX/commuting.

Aero front wheel, great suggestion.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much diff does a more aero front wheel make? Let's say you make 19-20MPH on an iron distance course.
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much diff does a more aero front wheel make? Let's say you make 19-20MPH on an iron distance course.

CG or one of the resident tech geeks can probably give a better answer than I can.

But I think it makes more difference than an aero rear wheel, and I'm pretty confident it makes more difference than the difference between a Dual and a P2K frame.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2K and Dual ride very similar. I rode both when looking to purchase a new bike myself. I could not justify the extra money for the P2K, but I didn't really have it to spend either, so I may have talked myself out of it.

Get the best frame you can afford. The frame is the most important part of the bike IMHO. If you can afford the P2K, get it.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only aero advantage of the P2K over the Dual is the rear wheel cut out which won't be as much as a pair of good second hand aero wheels on ebay. I like my P2K but if buying new I'd go with the Dual and something like a Hed Cx or Jet 60 front with Hed Deep 90 rear on ebay. You'd probaly still have enough change out the $400 to also pick up a Vision Tech aero base bar.
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How much diff does a more aero front wheel make?"

Nice general summary here:

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/aero.htm
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like how the recreational rider is able to keep 30 mph. I am clearly doing something wrong. : }
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [ljk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah...i think some of these wind tunnel tests must assume downhill with a tailwind...

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [ljk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe drag changes with speed - therefore they just use the drag number established at 30mph.
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't believe drag changes with speed - therefore they just use the drag number established at 30mph. "

Exactly. This is a mathematical model based upon drag from a wind tunnel at 30 mph. The times are then based upon these drag figures with average theoretical watt output in theoretical elite, well trained, trained and recreational riders. I'm not sure of all the details since I'm not a math geek.

Where's an engineer when we need one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I like how the recreational rider is able to keep 30 mph. I am clearly doing something wrong. : }
I have no idea about this, but everytime I hear this argument I can't help but think....does going 20mph into a 10mph wind equal 30mph?
Quote Reply
Re: worth it to spend extra money to upgrade from cervelo dual to p2k? [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't believe drag changes with speed - therefore they just use the drag number established at 30mph.

Drag (if I remember correctly aerodynamic drag, not parasitic drag) certainly does increase with speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Faced the same decision 1000 miles ago. Still satisfied with the Dual and wheels.
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply