Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who Else Drinks Ensure?
Quote | Reply
Just curious who else drinks this delightful beverage (or is it food). I have an eating problem (I don't do it enough), so it helps me keep the calories up. Costco has it for around $1 a bottle, and I seem to drink it to fast.

Great for after a hard training ride/run.

I used to drink it with my grandmother when she was not well, so it brings back good memories of her.

http://www.ensure.com/

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink the Walgreens generic version.. works great as a post work-out meal replacement. I also use it pre-workout with 99% success ...one time it didnt seem to agree with my GI system during a run :(

Read the label Rev. Ensure has a lot of junk in it like high fructose corn syrup and sat fat. Stick to real food as nature intended and you will be healthier long term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. Right now in fact.

Chocolate Ensure Plus. Yummy!

I "discovered" this stuff for 24 HR ARing last year, it was a lifesaver in the TA's.

350 cals in a coupla gulps, and didn't sour my tummy.

Hey - so it's got some crap in it, ya gotta die of something. ;-)

Calories are calories are calories. I burn 'em all off anyway.

It ain't Guiness, but it is OK to drink at the office.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink the President's Choice version. It's great for an on the fly breakfast. I drink the + calroies version. It is really handy for coming into work right after a morning workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matlock
Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.5g of saturated fat is not very much. Unless you are drinking a case a day. 18g of simple sugars and 22g of complex, that is on par with most decent foods.

Healthier is my problem, I do not eat when I need to. Tris has helped a ton in this respect (gained 40lbs). Would eating a candy bar be better? If it is so bad, why is it recommended when you are sick?

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandfather drinks it. Well he doesn't really drink it, it goes into his gastrostomy tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is awesome for pre-IM loading. My stomach is usually too nervous before the race, so I drink a couple of ensures at 0400 or so for a 0700 start. Works for me !

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink Boost. I'm sure its about the same. But, really only on days when I have an early workout or race days and not enough time to get a full breakfast in prior to the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't touch the stuff on a normal day, but during 12-hour and 24-hour mtb races, I have one as soon as I have handed the baton over to the next guy. I drink it by the can though, I know they came out with a bottle for the hip crowd, not sure if it's just repackaged or something else entirely.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoB, it seems like the same thing as the cans. Man, those cans suck. The thing I noticed about the bottles is, they are insulated quite well. Takes awhile to cool off in the fridge.

Reverend Dr. Jay

Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boost for me too, usually just before races or long training days, but if I have it lying around I'll guzzle some for a snack. It's like a liquid cookie with protein. I don't consider it particularly healthy, it's just fuel. It's got some (undoubtedly cheap) vitamins in it. I don't quite treat it with the reverence I do brown sugar cinnamon lowfat PopTarts or cereal or real cookies. My latest deviant behavior is to mix all kinds of Cheerios together, eg. regular or multi-grain as a healty base topped with a layer of apple-cinnamon or frosted as a flavor enhancer. Cheerios rule. Cheerios, and Thin Mints. Not together though, that's gross. What were we talking about again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
nothing says 'i'm nuts' like a banged up can of Ensure with the label torn off and some mud from the last race still on it, eh?

They definitely get old after a few, but it beats a PB/J by miles.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I startd to use one at the 56 mile mark and one after the bike. Now I am using Myoplex Carb Sense. 25 G of protein. 350MG of sodium (replaces one Succeed pill) and only 5GM carb--I get the carbs from my gels. I wouldn;t mind the extra carbs, but to get the bump in protein, I had to settle.

No matter how I take in protein during training or a race, I burp for a while.

Buuuurrrrrup!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink Boost because I think it tastes better. I have one pre race and one post race usually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is WAY too full of crap............just eat more GOOD food.......

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is WAY too full of crap............just eat more GOOD food......."

But it's GOOD crap!! Besides, how much "good food" can you stuff in an 8oz can?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compare your can of Ensure to my latest, favorite breakfast blender concoction:

2 bananas, ice, skim milk, plain nonfat yogurt, big shake of wheat germ, tablespoon of raw honey, big big spoon of raw almond butter and a scoop of protein/vitamin powder made from extracts of various fruits, veggies and all that green spirulina/wheatgrass-type stuff.

Might not sound like much on paper, but it is as creamy and sweet as an ice cream milk shake and tastes like a big glass of heaven. Takes about 90 seconds to make.

Quote | Reply
Ok, that sounds tasty, I'm sure it is delicious, and ok, mebbe it only takes 90 secs to make.

But - I bet it costs more than $1 for 8oz, and, you hafta clean up afterwards.

It takes me 3 seconds to unscrew the cap, and about 10-20 seconds (if I'm "savoring" it) to drink it, then pitch the empty bottle (zero cleanup - how about that blender?) and on to bigger and better things.

Plus, I don't think your blender will fit into the Special Needs bag or a TA gear box. ;-)

And you'd need one hell of an extension cord too. (insert smiley face here)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Who Else Drinks Ensure? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Extension cord? Of course not - that's silly. You need to bring a diesel generator. Imagine the look on your competitors' faces when you start blending mixed drinks. Frozen Margarita anyone?

Quote | Reply
That is the big plus with ensure, fast and easy. For me it is a struggle to want to eat something if I have to take a wrapper off of it.

You don't need a diseal generator, you just need a gas powered blender. Convert your weedeater, or buy one new, http://www.totallygross.com/

Reverend Dr. Jay

Quote Reply