Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo Dual--squeaky cables--Anyone had this? Gerard?
Quote | Reply
Once again, i'm posting for a very fortunate friend of mine (fortunate b/c they have a 2004 dual--sweet ride). the last couple rides we've done have been rather loud due to the loud squeaking every time she shifts to a larger cog in the back. when going up hills it is even worse. the LBS guy--a pro wrench--said it was the rear dr cable rubbing on the bb (internal cables of course). I never noticed it before, but the dual's bb has a small hole in the bb for the cables. we rode in some nasty-ass rain about 4 weeks ago and the squeaking started about 2 weeks after that. I'm not sure if that is the cause. i thought someone here might have experienced this squeak. It appears to happen regardless of which ring is being used in the front. Right before we rode in the rain i mentioned above, she had the bike overhauled and they replaced all the cables (kept original housings). I'm pretty sure the LBS guy can fix it, but i was just curious what the omniscient folks on the forum thought it was. maybe it can be some trivia for ya--i'll report back with the answer tomorrow after we pick the bike back up and the winner(s) can get bragging rights (as if one needed those to brag on this forum ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Dual--squeaky cables--Anyone had this? Gerard? [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll start with - "I love my 2004 P2K" but...

I have just gone through pure HELL getting a ticking noise resolved. My LBS guys really worked their butts off to figure this one out. After three trips back and forth to the store - I spnet almost 4 hours in shop with a mechanic ridding a trainer to replicate the sound and then tearing everything off the bike and either cleaning or replacing parts until this was figured out.

End result - it appears that the rear break wire that runs through the top tube, at the point it exits the top tub, has a small plastic housing/guide piece (not the gray plastic tube that connects to the break - rather the very small black fit piece that connects to the frame) that was rubbing against the frame. This caused constant squeeking/ticking.

My point - check how the cables enter and exit the frame. If there are plastic guide pieces check them out. My LBS actually had to replace the piece as the old one was far to loose.

One other thing I noticed - sorry to say this Gerard - but the paint job on at least the P2K I got is horrible. I know that chips and dings are inevitable, but I have paint comming off in all sorts of areas that it should not. In fact part of the problem with the ticking was a result of the paint chipping under the plastic cable guide. Without the pain, the plaistc piece was not held as tight and thus started rubbing against bare metal. Thus I would check the pain around the area that the squeek is coming from.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Dual--squeaky cables--Anyone had this? Gerard? [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife's P2K had some squeaks but it wasn't the cables and my P 3 hasn't had any.

But I have a question why did she have a one year old bike overhauled?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Dual--squeaky cables--Anyone had this? Gerard? [baddog590] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we get a HUGE discount on all shop work at our LBS (50%), so it was pretty cheap and the bike had seen a lot of travel and a lot of bad weather. it didn't necessarily need it, but the winter was pretty crappy weather-wise and it was just something to get done before she took it out on the road in the nice weather. Don't get me wrong, the bike, as far as i can tell, is an absolute dream. If i could actually hold her wheel more often, i'd get an even better look at it.

one thing the LBS guy said was that before the overhaul, the cable housing may have had some crap/dirt/gunk in there was kind of muffling the squeak. i don't know--i'm just a guy with cervelo envy, just like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, a squeek could be anything I guess. I doubt it is the bb guide, but the LBS could always try to run some ctranslucent sleeving over the cables (through the bb guides so that it cannot possibly touch the frame anywhere. If it still squeeks, it's not that. And it is a good idea to do this anyway, as it protects the cables from the weather a bit better.

Gv

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any creaking that I get on my soloist is from the seat. It started making noise after riding in the rain. It was a total pain finding it out, but making sure the cap screw that clamps the seat rails was tight fixed it. Sounds like yours is definitely different - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd check the ferrule that is used to go into the frame. If it's metal that could be the problem. I think that I remember helping out at the LBS here in town and a bike with a mystery creak came in. It was the ferrule...and I think that a plastic one fixed it.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo Dual--squeaky cables--Anyone had this? Gerard? [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My soloist's saddle rails are squeaking too! Thanks for the tip; I'll check this out.
Quote Reply