Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

deep dish rear or 5 spoke for kona?
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious to hear anyone's opinion on this question. I have a choice of the two, and I am not sure which one to get.

Any opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: deep dish rear or 5 spoke for kona? [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 spoke??? As in the Mavic IO pentaspoke??? You have access to one of those and you're wondering about anything else??? Oi!;-)
Quote Reply
Re: deep dish rear or 5 spoke for kona? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ummmm....yes. The question is whether it would be faster in kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry..I guess I gave my choice away..faster or not I'll leave that to debate...I'm thinking it is but that's just the placebo effect on me. How did you come into such an item? And if it isn't faster..pick a deep that youd rather have..I'll buy it for you..and we'll trade:-)
Quote Reply
Re: deep dish rear or 5 spoke for kona? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A mate of mine rides for a ProTour team in Europe who are sponsored by Mavic. He left a while ago to go to Europe, and left some of his gear in my house (where he stayed during his time back home). I asked him about the wheel and he said I could have it because they hadn't asked him about it. And no I won't part with it, because I don't really feel like it's mine.

He's funny with equipment. I have to do his mechanical work for him while he is in the country. He can't even adjust his brakes! He can ride tho....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bummer..if he comes back and lets you decide what to do with it;-) I'm yer man. As for pros that can't turn a wrench..I hear ya. A local pro woman triathlete (now residing in NZ) asked me to have a look at her bike and see if I could find out why it was making a funny noise. I had one look and nearly cried. Her, otherwise sweet, Cervelo was a mess. Wheels out of true, chain covered in crud, frame coated in all manor of goo/gatorade/powerbar, derailleurs way out of adjustment. The list went on and on...it was very sad. Fixed what I could and sent her to a surgeon to try and save the rest. Came back with an all new drivetrain, new brake pads (worn almost to the steel), new tires (thread bare), and everything tuned like a swiss watch. She said..it purrs again. Well..yeah! It's sad to see such talent used only for athletic purposes and nothing used towards bike maintenance.
Back to the main topic...use the IO...likely the fastest option outside a disc...but again..my 2cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the IO a rear wheel? I thought they only made it as a front?
As totally cool as the IO is, I have to ask what you'll be riding up front?
It would be heresy to put an IO on the back and a rolf vector up front.
Quote Reply
Re: deep dish rear or 5 spoke for kona? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the rodent speaks truth...now..a PAIR of IOs..that would be something
Quote Reply
HED Alps or HED3 for Kona? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar question about wheels for Kona. I have a Renn Disc and a front HED3.

For Kona I need at least another rear wheel. My choices are:

- 30mm deep Ritchey DS training wheel (no additional cost)
- 2 HED3 (cost $640 for rear HED3)
- 2 HED Alps (cost $975)
- HED Alps front and HED3 rear (cost $1090)

My favorite is a new set of HED Alps. This is not the most expensive option and I would use them also on my road bike for road races.

Which wheel option do you recommend?

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply