Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are 10 speed cassette prices insane?
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of buying a new bike. I was going back and forth between setting it up with Shimano or Campy. I was inclined to go with the Campy, but that would require new training wheels at a minimum, though I have a couple of Campy cassettes for my road bike.

So I thought about getting 10 speed Shimano. That would require all new cassettes. I use a bunch of them as I bounce between FL and Lake Placid. I think I have every nine speed cassette there is. It seems like I could spend nearly $1,000 just for cassettes.

I am now thinking of getting the Shimano 10 speed rear derailleur (nine speed compatible), new nine speed bar end shifters, and just using that until I grind my cassettes into dust. Total cost would be not much more than the cost of one cassette.

Would this make me a Neanderthal? Would I be banished from Slowtwitch?
Quote Reply
Re: Are 10 speed cassette prices insane? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I thought about getting 10 speed Shimano. That would require all new cassettes. I use a bunch of them as I bounce between FL and Lake Placid. I think I have every nine speed cassette there is. It seems like I could spend nearly $1,000 just for cassettes.
Go for the Ultegra 10 cassettes. They're less than 1/2 the cost of the D/A.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art - do you want to be cool or not?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Are 10 speed cassette prices insane? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I already look way better in transition than I do out on the course.

I would still have the 10 speed derailleur on the back. So how different would I look with 10 cogs on the back? Would the babes notice? Would my love life improve? Would my love life get worse? (Trick question, it can't get any worse.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not about looks Art - this is about if you want to "be" cool - we are skinny ass shaved legged twiggy Tri Geeks - none of us really look cool

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Are 10 speed cassette prices insane? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a skinny ass shaved legged twiggy Tri Geek. I am an old, slow and fat Tri Geek. Apology demanded.

So I guess the answer is no, 10 cogs on the back won't improve my love life. Bummer. Looking more and more like 9 speed is going to be a part of my past and my future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grind the nine into dust.

I am grinding six into the dust, and I think there is plenty of life in those Sachs freewheels, yet. I have an almuminum Sachs Malliard that I use on race day for the last fifteen years and it still shifts okay.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Art,

1) I'm sure I think 9 is enough (and Bunny will tell you 5 or 6 is), BUUUT 10 is way cool and it's not like it will disappear;

2) and only reason for my post, is did you ever think of buying one of those cassettes that come with 11 seperate cogs? I think I saw them in Excel. I'm sure they come with a weight and cost penalty but then you could much more easily bounce between Placid and Panama City. Mix and match to your heart's content and I bet for a lot cheaper than 3 or 4 ULT cassettes.

Just a thought. - And I just bought ULT 10 for my wife's new bike while I toil away on "only" 9 gears ;p)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get either a Mavic or American Classic 10 speed cassette that comes with 9 speed spacers? That way it'd work either way.

Why get the 10 speed derailler? Just the cool factor? The 9 speed derailler works fine with 10 cogs, so all you need to upgrade is a chain, cassette, and bar ends. Some folks say a 10 speed compatible small chainring. That'll save some $$ if you use your current deraillers...and you'll be up to date with 10 speed.

Advice worth what it cost you...$0.00.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm upgrading to 10 speed for IM LP and I'm old and slow, jut not very fat.

But, yup, 10 speed prices are ridik'lous.

I said the same thing, though, when converting from 7-9 speed. (I skipped 2 grade and 8 speed.)

I rode a 10 speed setup about a month ago and decided the shifters were very sweet. Better than 9 speed. Easer to shift and look very cool.

Runner-up would be Shimano 10 speed. Campy is in second trust territory. 9 speed is now declasse. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Are 10 speed cassette prices insane? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never thought of the different sized spacer approach. I will have to mull that over.

I need to get another derailleur anyway, and the old 9 speed is no longer made. My cranks (FSA) are 10 speed compatible, or so they say. I want to try one of those compact chainring specific front derailleurs anyway. If I add bar end shifters and a rear derailleur, I have another bike fully equipped as long as I stay with 9 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fyi, I had good luck getting brand new DA10 12/27 cassette for $146 off ebay (along with a number of other new DA10 parts from the same guy at cheaper prices)

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my thought, if you are going to get a new bike dont half ass it. Get a new bike and get it 10 speed. It like buying a new computer with an old processer, it will be outdated soon enough. While I dotn think 9 speed will be outdated anytime soon go for the new technology. Your bike will come with one set of gear and you can sell your 20 different sets and get 1 or 2 more off ebay. 2-3 should be enough if you get the right ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sell a product that might be of interest to you. You can pretty much mix and match all popular combinations of wheelsets, speeds, and shifting parts. Helps take the bite out of the upgrading cost or lets you use your favorite parts together. http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm[reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Are 10 speed cassette prices insane? [don] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is this crap that I am suddenly a retro grouch? Sheesh!!!!

I have only asked the question quite awhile back about why do triathletes need ten speeds? I would love it if there were an eight speed top-flight TT gruppo (hell, there are quite a few certifiably old TT bikes with 8 or 7 speed out there in heavy use, especially if they have a very expensive Mavic or Campy Ghibli disc on them) that was made light and very dependable. Seven and eight speed freewheels were a lot easier to mate to differing drivetrains, as I rode my old Zipp 1150 on both Campy AND Shimano-equipped drivetrains with minimal fuss.

I could see easier shifts with ten, with more gearing choices. On a flat TT, I always ran straight block freewheels (back before I got rid of my freewheel wheels),particularly liking an 8 sp Sachs Malliard aluminium freewheel that was 12-19, that is having a 12, 13, etc.,sequentially. A nice straight block like that was only possible in the good old days by either eliminating your climbing gears or your downhill gears. With 10 speed, you could have a nearly do-it all cassette with essentially straight-up gear changes, nothing funky going on.

I am most sad that I have FINALLY found a shift system I like for aerobars, and it is not 10 speed compatible, unless I can figure out how to make shift rings for my Profile UPS or Sram makes a 10 speed Grip Shift. Also, I would have to replace my Bartols System, as I have really become accustomed to NOT having a front mech. I would love to run Campy for the first time in a long time, as I do miss it's wear-in characteristics. There was quite awhile when there were not many good Campy wheelsets. I can run them with old Shimano spacing dependably these days.

The only thing I do not like about 10 speed is the chain getting increasingly more narrow and seemingly more fragile. But otherwise, there is not much else not to like, except I can't seem to get it together for my particular needs, which is why I am not keen on going to it yet.

When I get done with review on Nokon cables, I will post the link to my new blog. Them ain't retro grouch cables...
Quote Reply