Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Runs and Stomach Problems after the run
Quote | Reply
Last week about 3 hours after I ran 18, I felt like I had a gremlin in my stomach, gas, blotted, etc....
This morning after running 22, same effect just not as bad as last week....had the same fuel I always train with, Hammer Gel, after I finished about 35 minutes I had my recovery drink, and about 1 1/2 after had breakfast...usual stuff, however on shorter runs 12 miles etc,,,,this has not happened....any thoughts...could it be dyhydration? Thanks....
Quote Reply
Re: Long Runs and Stomach Problems after the run [Saltamontes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a virus? If it was less severe than after the 18-miler, all things being equal, that might be the cause. I'm no doctor or physiolist but the body does go through a significantly higher amount of stress on an 18-22 miler as opposed to 12 and under. Has this occurred in the past (besides recently)? If not, look to anything you might have changed over the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you fully rehydrate before eating. You need a lot of water in your system to properly digest food, if you're dehydrated and eat a lot it will cause problems.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Mar 11, 05 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grasshopper,

I have to eat almost immediately after running or I have some similar problems. In immediately, I mean within 20-30 minutes. I try to get some protein down my throat as well as a ton of water. I don't know if being bigger has anything to do with it, but if I do not eat regularly, I am a wreck. Don't know if this helps or not. Good luck buddy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a potasium and a magnesium suppliment halfway through your long runs. I used to get stomach cramps after long runs. I think a lot of it had to do with hydration, but the suppliments work like magic for me.

Quote | Reply
i faced the same issue after any run greater than 2 hours. i found that having some form of protein and alot of water quickly helped some, but i have come to expect it.
Quote Reply