Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydrolic line for propane?
Quote | Reply
Can a hydrolic hose, with fittings crimped for hydrolics, hold propane gas? please, no, "well it should," but let me know if it in fact "can."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrolic line for propane? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I would just stick with either copper tubing or steel pipe, hydro lines may work but Id err on the side of safety and use the aformentioned products.

My family was in the propane business for 35 years so Ive worked with it quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrolic line for propane? [Duman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My family was in the propane business for 35 years so Ive worked with it quite a bit."

here's my problem. i have this new, big outdoor stainless steel grill. i don't want to just hook it up to a 5gal propane tank, because i've plumbed propane to it from my 250gal tank.

but, when i pipe it into the hose that comes with the grill, i've not got enough gas flow, because i now have TWO regulators, the one off the big tank, and the one from the grill. so, i want to take the hose off the grill, and get another hose made that doesn't have a regulator on it.

i guess i could use 1/4" copper line, with a compression fitting, but that's necking down the flow quite a lot. i need some sort of flexible hose. so, a hydrolic hose (thought i).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step away from the tank and take your hands away from that wrench!

Call your propane supplier or a local contractor to plumb the supply line. It will be cheap and right for the job with the proper brass fittings. Really, don't do it. Only stuff approved for propane should be used. I hate to sound like that, but I investigate fires on behalf of natural gas utilities for a living and you have no idea how many terrible things I've seen because some one wanted to do it "Their" way.

They will do it in 1/2" copper with an approved double wall flex line on the end to attach to the grill.

John
Last edited by: JohnG: Mar 11, 05 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many marine, RV or hose and fitting stores will make a custom length propane hose for you with the correct fittings. You could also get a hose and an adjustable regulator like the pro's have.

just google: propane hose fittings

Hydraulic hose is meant to hold 3000psi oil not a few psi of propane so the hose would work but getting the correct fittings would be a pain plus it would be very inflexible. Don't forget to use the correct pipe thread sealant on any threaded connections. Don't use teflon tape with gas.

Quote Reply
Re: Hydrolic line for propane? [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you beat me to it John,,,from time to time there are things that should just be left to those who know..working with something that will level the ranch is one of those things...hyrdaulic line that is rated for temperature and pressure will work (with the right fittings) but is not ideal for your purpose...a qualified fitter can do the job faster and neater than you can imagine..and the likelihood of blowing up future guests is greatly diminished

we love you Slowman..don't become Slow'roasted'man for the sake of invention
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrolic line for propane? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Kent, I (as you can see) whole heartedly agree!

John
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrolic line for propane? [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Really, don't do it."

well, first, i plumbed my entire house for propane. when i bought the house was electric only, it is now both electric and propane. i plumbed the lines, according to code, pressure tested them several times along the way, valves in the right places, and so on.

second, i DID call my propane supplier. they have no such hose that i need. THEY said that a hydrolic line would probably work fine. yes, i WOULD get it crimped with brass fittings. however, i'm still asking the questions.

whether i plumb the line or my propane company does it, it's all the same, my question is, where do i get such a line?

but i do take your suggestion seriously. i couldn't see quarter inch copper, but perhaps, yes, 1/2" will give me sufficient flow. thx.

btw, i ran all my own electric and water lines as well, just finished a huge indoor/outdoor electric remodel, going from 100amp to 200amp service, and yesterday finished a new water system with holding tanks, pressure tanks and a booster pump to get me from 25psi of water to 50psi.

so, i'm relatively handy around the house :-)

i don't want to do it my way, i want to do it the right way, but the community in which i live is half-ass, spit and baling wire city. so, in desperation i resort to the one place i know i'll always get expert advice upon which i can absolutely rely—the internet :-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
expert advice + internet. Scary eh?

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude is a regular Tim the toolman Taylor...but then we all know what happens to Tim on a regular basis;-)
Here lies the body of Slowman Dan
He plumbed his own gas
And blew up his ass
While trying to be a handy man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type of line you're talking about is available. It's just like hydraulic line but rated for propane.

It runs about $1.25/ft and any propane dealer should have it by the roll, be able to cut it by the foot and provide all of the brass fittings.

If your propane dealer doesn't have it try an RV store...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is CSST. I've used it in my parents house. Stands for corrugated stainless steel tubing. Code allows for it but it's more for running gas throughout the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea on the hose, but why would two regulators make a difference?

If the flow and pressure is the same why would 2 or 20 regulators change that? We have filter/regulators throughout our shop. Granted it's air but one off the compressor, one in front of every machine. Sometimes 2 and 3 regulators. Obviously you can't get higher pressure and flow than the prior regulators but you can get the same.

Just curious.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrolic line for propane? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"why would two regulators make a difference?"

i don't know, but this is what my propane company's service manager says is the problem. it could be ANOTHER problem, that the regulator on my grill "sees" too much propane and goes into its version of "safe" mode, restricting the flow (so says the grill's owner's manual).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"it could be ANOTHER problem, that the regulator on my grill "sees" too much propane and goes into its version of "safe" mode, restricting the flow..."

Why on Earth would anyone want to RESTRICT propane flow to a grill?? To hell with regulaters, light that mother up!

(Sorry for the predictably useless post...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he's right. Check the output of the regulator from the propane tanks and compare it to the input of the regulator to your gas grill. The gas grill is only meant to see a certain range of pressure. If it doesn't match there's a mechanism that will put it in 'safe' mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"that the regulator on my grill "sees" too much propane and goes into its version of "safe" mode, restricting the flow"

Now that I can see. If the regulator for the grill has a "Maximum" and "Safety flow" and the pressure/flow of the regulator coming from the 250 gal tank is over teh safety pressure then it would force the grill regulator into "safety mode".

Not an expert on the subject by any stretch of imagination but I suspect replumbing will not solve the issue in fact may create a danger as the flow/pressure now reaching the grill is that of the regulator from the "big tank" which is probably too much for the grill.

On the bright side it may be as easy as finding a regulator that will handle the higher pressure/flow and regulate down to the intended grill pressure.

No idea how to solve the problem. I'd caution against skipping the second regulator as this is the one that brings it down to the operating pressure of the grill.

From a pure "guess" standpoint I'd think it'd be as easy as finding out what pressure the grill operates at and what the regulator on the tank is. Just replace the regulator with one that can handle the pressure from the 250 tank and Voila!

http://www.mcmaster.com/ Has more regulators than you can shake a stick at and I'd bet a plin old line regulator could be picked up locally.

That's what I'd do...but then I've actually tried to blow my house up...no luck.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep..you're right. All you should have to do is match the output pressure of the gas from the tank to the input of the grill. A new regulator that is matched to the right input pressure shouldn't cost much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see two regulators causing a flow restriction problem - independent of pressure. There's always some restriction through one, even when "wide open". You can only cram so much gas through an orifice, well safely. You know how much a big fart hurts the buns - Too much gas through a small orifice.

And on that note, do you plan to have this all rigged up for Fixapalooza? If so, please let me know which way you went, because I may want to show up (let you know in a few days). This may be one way to flame a lot of triathletes without posting on SlowTwitch Forum!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's alink to Mcmaster carr...lotsa regulators I'd think one would work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3151

Likely you can pick something up cheaper at a local place but likely with more headache trying to find out if it will work or not. If you have any questions on the product McMaster can usually get an aswer for you in a few minutes.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[snip]

okay, bottom line, i went to the local hardware store, bought two 2' hoses for some sorta RV replacement propane thingy, put them together with a brass pipe-threaded coupler, stuck a 3/8" to 1/2" nipple in one end, screwed it into a gas valve that was in turn screwed into a bell that took my 1" gas pipe down to 1/2", and the other end of the hose went straight into the friggin grill. no regulator inline other than the one leaving the big ol' 250g tank.

my dad was over. i had tuna. he had sirloin. the dogs ate the rest. if the house blows up, at least it'll blow up with several stomachs full of grilled animals.

thx for the help, all.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm talkin about!!
Quote Reply