Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you use to clean your rims?
Quote | Reply
My wife likes me to use Lysol bowl cleaner and a brush we keep in the corner of the garage. Oh, I probably should have done a search before posting this question, huh? Hope I don't get flamed for that, or called a troll.....Maybe an environmental hater for using terrible chemicals to slowly kill our planet.

this forum has been so entertaining this winter that I haven't had time to train hardly at all and have to go to the Ralph's Half and cheer my son on in his first time longer than an oly race. Good luck to all of you out there next Saturday.

It's all in good fun, right?

Neil
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use to clean your rims? [Old man driving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always used simple green. Used it when I worked in a bike shop, continue to use it now. Plus it works as a good ant killer that does not offend the nose (to much).

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Neil. I'll be at Ralph's. I'm hoping to redeem myself for last year's pathetic run (walk). See if you can find me. As usual, I'll be at the geezer rack.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use to clean your rims? [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use water only. After the ride I clean my bike with water. While the shining silver does go away, I have not noticed any loss of breaking performance.

About twice a year I will use some bike cleaner ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would keep any strong chemicals away from tyres. I use a mild detergent like a washing up liquid (dish soap I believe to be the American phrase) to clean and a gentle application with a pan scourer on the braking surface. Have a look at Tom D's comprehensive guide to bike cleaning http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/prevent.shtml

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're obsessive about bike cleanliness (and I am fanatical) a soapy water cloth down should be enough after every ride. Stubborn dirt remover cleaners (such as muck off) should only be used as a last resort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spray a rag with Windex and wipe the entire wheel (rim, spokes, hub, everything).

I also use HED3's. I polish the hubs super bright, looks like glass, with a Dremel and polishing paste (Mothers). It takes about 5 minutes. Just be sure ou keep the paste away from the bearings.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use to clean your rims? [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is what I use too...I like my baby to be nice and pretty...and she really is (gush gush).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use to clean your rims? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop it Kitty, you'll embarrass the poor boy!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Windex and a 3M scrub pad... then wipe clean.
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my brake pads ;-)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a Scoth-Brite pad and rub them when dry. Don't do this over your wife's new Oriental rugs, however...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use to clean your rims? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, thank you for the many honest replies. Actually, the original post was one of my sicker attempts at humor. (rim on the toilet bowl). Just too much very serious exchanges over out of wedlock pregnancy and special olympics, etc. so I thought I might lighten things up some.

Steve, I hope to see you there, too. If you are in the geezer rack does that mean you finally aged up into my 50-54 bracket? That means I'll need to train for real now or just move another spot down the finishers list.....

Neil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naw, still 45-49, but read this - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=344476#344476

With run redemption, I'm hoping for a top ten placing (in the AG, that is). That might be ambitious, but, you never know!

You might need to move down a spot anyway. Russ 'The Mailman' Jones has turned 50. He wins pretty much everything he enters.

Hey, and I actually use car wax on the frame and the rims, except braking surface. I figure that's good for, oh, maybe 5 seconds.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemon Pledge once a week.
Quote Reply