Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why no "tech" talk on Cyclism?
Quote | Reply
For years now I've watched the TDF, Paris-Nice, etc. religiously. There is almost never any discussion of the technical aspects of the equipment. Bob, Paul and Kirsten ramble on about the old days, but don't get in to the teams and their respective equipment, wheel sets, frames, aero, on and on. There must be a reason Is it that this tech talk is boring and they feel viewers would be turned off? Do the teams want protection/secrecy of their latest equipment and OLN respects this wish? I assume that by all the threads posted here and the amount of discussion there is a great deal of interest in the equipment. Wouldn't the manufacturers WANT their brands discussed on TV and in fact promote the use of their products?
Quote Reply
Re: Why no "tech" talk on Cyclism? [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it simply comes down to making the coverage interesting to the broadest audience possible. The average person (American at least) is busy just trying to follow the generalities of bike racing much less the technical details of wheel sets. I think it is the same reason we see less coverage, and the coverage we get is often summarized. The demand is just not high enough
Quote Reply
Re: Why no "tech" talk on Cyclism? [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Sunday I heard the phrase "pedal in anger" at least 10 times. One mention of aluminium, carbon, or tubular would be interesting to at least a small part of their viewing audience.
Quote Reply