Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

le tour on oln
Quote | Reply
I must say that I am soooo glad to have the lifestyle clips of restaurants and hotels throughout the tour coverage. Idiots. It sucks when our sport goes mainstream! and don't even talkt to me about those grill commercials...
Quote Reply
Re: le tour on oln [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But those grill ads made me believe that I could get women and get out of bear traps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate commercials, but if it weren't for those sponsors, we might be relegated to watching the weekly 30 minute blurb on ESPN instead of having daily coverage. Why does it suck when our sport goes mainstream? Maybe if it were mainstream enough, there would be less crap like lumberjack competitions and more bike racing and triathlon coverage on US channels. The grill commercials may be the dumbest thing ever aired however and I think that the writers should be sacked.

Lance

Quote | Reply
"Why does it suck when our sport goes mainstream?"

I guess it is at the point where the tv folks are trying to expand the tour audience to those who don't really care that much about bike racing. I like pure sports and information broadcasting. I appreciate the humor that Bob Roll brings... but the fashion, dining and tourist info is a bit much - the travel channel is the place for that. It waters down the entire experience for cycling fans.

So I guess it is not that the sport is becoming more mainstream... more the result that do come from that mainstreaming... reading about Lance in People Magazine does nothing for me.

But don't get me wrong... I am thrilled and thankful to have the tour (especially live) in my living room. My critic does not mean that I am not grateful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its probably the campy, ameteurish way in which the segments are presented that is more offensive than the actual stories. Remember, the TDF is much more than a bike race to the French and Europeans. Those who've been there know. It would be like trying to cover the Super Bowl for foreigners without talking about the tailgate party tradition.

And those stupid commercials aren't unique to OLN's TDF coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: le tour on oln [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you'd prefer ESPN's idea TDF coverage. 10 seconds of footage, covering ONLY the crash, NOT Pettachi's win, and the STUPID comment that its "better him than Lance!" referring to Tyler Hamilton's injuries. THAT'S insulting! I've put up with stupid comments from the Sportscenter folks for long enough. I'm crossing them off my list for that one. That's like me leaning over to another kid's parents who just watched their kid break his arm and saying "Better your kid than mine!" If ESPN's comment weren't so typically American, it would be incredible.
Quote Reply