Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hey wrenches
Quote | Reply
Just got a call from my LBS doing a rebuild for me. They tell me my 109.5 long BB spindle is too short for a double crank. I'm not the wrench I think I am then because I thought 109.5 was for double and the 113 (or whatever it is) was for triple. Can someone explain to me if I'm being handed a load or not.
Quote Reply
Re: hey wrenches [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type and brand of crankset? BB?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allow me to clarify just a bit. Crank and BB are both 7700 series Dura Ace. Not that it should make a difference but the arm length is 172.5 and the shell is 68 (english thread). Most that have gotten this far should also know it is splined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 7703 DA triple uses a 118.5 mm spindle. The 7700 DA double uses a shorter one, so the shop might be right (you can call shimano tech support on a weekday to check this). The interesting question is, where did you get the spindle that is in there now? Is it a track spindle (single chainring)?

Quote Reply
Re: hey wrenches [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bought it online...and as far as I can tell there are only two sizes for Dura Ace spindles...109.5 and the 118.5 you mentioned. Went to The Man to find it out http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html The BB comes complete..spindle, cups, bearings etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The darn shimano manual has removed the info for DA 7700 double spindles, since DA 7800 has come to market and replaced it. I would ask your shop to justify why they think you should have a longer spindle. They may be BS-ing or they may have a good reason. Tell them what you know about proper spindle lengths and ask them to explain.

If all else fails, call shimano in irvine, CA on monday?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ken,

Where're located?

Which LBS are you going to?

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: hey wrenches [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sent the info to you in a PM to be polite to said LBS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Shimano manual, 109.5 is indeed the length for a double 7700. But it is possible that an unusual frame or chainline could require longer...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hadn't thought about that..is the Kestrel 200SCi considered an unusual frame? Maybe I'll throw them an email too and see what they say.
Beginning to lose faith in this LBS as they are also telling me the 9sp rings I bought and put on the cranks (figured all new drivetrain might be a good plan) are in fact 8sp and that I will need some special shims to make them work (he even used the words expensive washers when describing the shims). I'll give them the chance to explain themselves before going off the deep end on this one but they are not doing so well so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My garage is open to you ;)

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 109.5mm BB is the correct length for a double crank on every frame that I have ever seen.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Greg..you have a Shimano catalogue handy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes i do, how can i help?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking in chainrings can you tell me what speed the following are for?
4-16P39000 and
3-16P9B530
these are taken from the little cardboard insterts in the sealed bags the rings I bought came in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to save time, are these road or MTB?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry about that..road..for Dura Ace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4-16P39000 and
3-16P9B530
the way I see these numbers...both have P9 which to me indicates they work for 9sp and the 39000 and 530 represent 39 and 53 chainring sizes
but then I could be wrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm looking through the catalog. it has every part no. for all the components (i.e., cranksets, brakes, etc.) that shimano makes today, but it does not list part no.s for every shimano replacement part (i.e., chainrings, brake pads etc.). it won't be any help here.

call shimano tech in the usa 949-951-5003 and they'll help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's cool...I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they have to say...thanks hugely for that help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Hadn't thought about that..is the Kestrel 200SCi considered an unusual frame? Maybe I'll throw them an email too and see what they say."

I don't think so. I was running the same set-up in a Kestrel 200 EMS, same frame geomtry and specs just different carbon lay-up if memory serves me correctly. I think your lbs is BS'ing you.
Quote Reply
Re: hey wrenches [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of the three things I needed them to do correctly the got 2 wrong (and the third wrong being an oversight on my cable requirements)
strike one (telling me my BB of 109.5 was not for a double crank..which several sources have now confirmed that it was)
strike two (telling me the chainrings I bought that I know..went to the source and they told me emphatically that they were and they would be replaced if there was a question of integrity {what scammer would offer that}...are 7700 series 9sp...were for 8sp..and that I would require shims to make them work right..or expensive washers as he referred to them as)
we'll see what they have to say for themselves Monday and if it isn't rectified I'll be sure to drag their name through a bit of mud on as many forum as I can. Maybe a newpapers or two if I'm feeling particularly vindictive.
Never pick a fight with someone who has access to this many knowledgeable resources. Thanks to all who helped me out on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm glad you have the balls to get mad @ them.

when i bought my first bike i was totally in the dark about a bunch of stuff and got quite screwed with some of the component specs.

the LBS also wants to charge me $100 for a bb that i can get at another LBS for 65...i think i might mention this to them when i go in to ask about replacing cranks/bb.

p.s. anyone know the average life of a shimano ultegra bb? when is a good time to replace?

thanks!

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: hey wrenches [krgregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just sent the owner of the store an email...politely detailing the entire situation (with no implication that the mech or the shop did anything to fleece me) we'll see what they have to say. In the words of Forrest Gump 'I may not be a smart man...but I know people who are' It's nice to have people in the right places.
They get all of one chance to make it right though...otherwise that'll be three strikes...and payback (in this case) will be a bitch
Quote Reply