Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank Gel - I like it... anyone else try it?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else tried the new Crank Sports Gel (http://www.cranksports.com)? I tried their sample pack and it's awesome! The taste is excellent and the sustained energy is very noticeable. I've tried just about all of them and this one's got them all beat. No nausea, great energy about 20-30 minutes after initial ingestion and long lasting energy. The tangy after taste is nice too... very fruity.

They have a referral program and will give you a discount on your first order, if you use my referral number:

I'll get a discount too if ya'll are interested in passing the savings around. I'm not posting this for the savings, however. I'll be buying it anyway, referral savings or not.

The guy who sold me the stuff over the phone spent about 20 minutes talking to me about race fueling, and the fact that there is so little information about what NOT to do. Here's what he said in a medium nut shell...

All gels and sports drinks are designed to be assimilated by the body by osmosis. That means that your body literally absorbs the stuff. In order for that to happen, it must be in the correct dilution (mixture) - not too thin (too much water) or not too thick (too little water.) Having the dilution wrong will cause problems like nausea and bonking. When the dilution is too thick, you body has to supply the water to further dilute the mixture, so that it can then re-absorb it all. This can cause you to bonk if you are already walking the dehydration line like we do in triathlon. It can also cause nausea due to the fact that it is just sitting in your stomach or intestines waiting to be absorbed by the body.

Having it too thick can happen by simply not drinking enough water with the gel or, worse, drinking a sports drink with the gel. You won't get the dilution factor correct. This is the same for all gels.

This described exactly what happened to me 3 miles into the run in an oly tri I did last year. At about the 3 mile mark I started to feal sick to my stomach and then instantly ran out of energy. I truly bonked in the best sense of the word. I thought it was the PowerAid that I drank just a little before, but I think it was the combination of the GU gel that I had injested during the first mile of the run AND the sports drink.

He suggested that either only drink water with the gel or stagger the gel and the drink. Staggering your ingestion of the sugars will be more difficult to control, so therefore, I am going to do just gel and water.

The nice thing about the Crank Gel is that it is thin like Hammer Gel and has more per pack. For some reason this seems to be the right amount for me, because the results have been really good.

I hope I stated everything above correctly. If anyone else know something about this, please post a correction to my data.

I really do recommend trying the sample pack. And no, I am not affiliated with Crank Sports in any way!

Burn the ships!

aerow
Quote Reply
Re: Crank Gel - I like it... anyone else try it? [aerow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried both the gel and the e-fuel. The e-fuel is pretty good, and both the gel and the fuel have a little more sodium than their competitors. THe good thing about the fuel is that it comes in a pack like the gels, a concentrated mix. You just add it to a bottle of water and you are good to go. The one thing I didn't like about the gels is the lack of a plain or vanilla flavor. I used them on a 115 mile ride last week where the temps got up into the mid 90's and couldn't use the gels because of the sweet flavor.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply