Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hammer electrolyte v. gatorade
Quote | Reply
By the end of my last 1/2 IM, I was SO sick of blue gatorade. Imagine my delight when I realized that 1 24oz. bottle of gatorade has the same salt and potassium as 6 capsules of Hammer electrolyte. So, now I'm confused. The Hammer bottle says take 1-3 per hour, but I normally drink two 24oz. bottles of gatorade per hour (which is = 6).

I want to experiement and just drink water and pop capsules for a while (plus maybe GU to subsidize the carbs) but should I take 6 caps, or was I drinking too much gatorade, and should just take the recommended 1-3 caps/hour?
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer electrolyte v. gatorade [pat mcnamara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did the Keauhou 1/2 IM in Kona in May and I used 2 Hammer electrolyte pills per hour while drinking only water. They worked great! No cramping, and no stomach problems. I don't think I would use more than the recommended 3 per hour. I used to drink Gatorade but always seemed to have stomach problems during my run for long races. I also supplemented my calories with Hammer Gel (apple cinnamon is my peersonal favorite). this is also easier on my stomach than GU. I get really sick of GU after about 5-6 of them. Anyway, hopes this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer electrolyte v. gatorade [pat mcnamara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about Hammer. But I do know this: let your body and your tastes be your guide. Practice in training what you eat and drink during a race.

In long training rides or runs, I get tired of gatorade. I eat ClifShot gels and drink water during long runs. During long training rides, I stop at a convenience store and buy a Mountain Dew. Hits the spot every time.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply