Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to Swim in Columbia, SC
Quote | Reply
We are moving to Columbia. Basically my fiance' and I are looking for a NICE CLEAN clean pool to train in. Does anyone know of a good (pool, YMCA, community center) where we can swim?

Also, are there areas in Lake Murry that are open to swim in?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Swim in Columbia, SC [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about pools in Columbia, but my parents have a house on Lake Murray. There are several areas around the lake that are open seasonally for swimming. I think the largest of these is also right at the dam on the Lexington side. Also, there is a triathlon in Lake Murray www.Set-upinc.com. The race director for this (Leslie Pujoul Brown) is probably a good source of info on training locations. Last year she mentioned that they did a training swim the length of the dam. You can find her contact info at www.bayislandstriathlon.com.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graz,

went to grad school at USC and had no problems with finding a place to swim. as far as public pools there is an outdoor pool very near "Five Points" that is open for lap swims but cannot remember what the name of the pool or what times it is open in the spring/summer (sorry man!). also, USC has just built a spankin new facility across from the Basketball stadium on Huger St./ave (pronounced Huge-ey just to save you from pronoucing it incorrectly and having someone correct you or look at you strangely). They have a 50m pool there and a moveable bulkhead. Also, USC has a pool where the exercise science offices used to be and also where a very well equiped (but older now- by 4 years, but most likely very well kept and up to date) weight training facility. The pool there is a 50m indoor with a moveable bulkhead as well. I would check into masters teams there and I KNOW they have a few that workout at either facility.

Check out The Extra Mile running/Triathlon store in Columbia and ask them about the masters teams/training schedule. they should now. Lake Murray is a great place to open water swim but not until April or May. hot as hell in the summer there so get ready. it is like no other heat you have experienced. Good luck and have fun tailgating at USC football games!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I am a student at USC, and I think I can help. First, if you are going to be faculty at USC, the Strom Thurmond center is excellent. This however is only for use by students and faculty, and I think I have seen Gov. Sanford in there a few times. The Blatt center is also a good place, as the swim team trains there, though i dont know if community members can join. Maxcy Gregg Park was what another poster was referring to, and it is open to the public (perhaps for a small fee?) in the warm time of the year. There is also a YMCA in Irmo, which is maybe 15 minutes from downtown Columbia, and one in downtown, though I think their pool may be only 20 yards, though i could be wrong. The one in Irmo is nice, but warm. I worked there for three years and have swam in it many times. It works. There is also a Masters team that trains at Columbia College, which is maybe 5 minutes from downtown. They are a morning team, with 5 days a week practice. The coach is Bill Irwin, a cool guy. If this doesnt make much sense, then its because i imbibed a few too many spirits prior to posting. Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also there are many places to swim in Lake Murray. There are several beach type areas. In addition to those, if you have a boat or a paddler, you can swim from one of the many islands in the middle of the lake.
Quote Reply