Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Wheel Riders
Quote | Reply
How many events have you been too over the years, where the weather played a factor in using or not using a disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Riders [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Target,

My answer is Zero. The only reason I ever have a non-disk rear race wheel is for IMH (and formerly IMC) where they are not allowed. I saw your post eariler today where you said a disk was out, but restrained myself. A disk is ALWAYS faster (except an uphill time trial, and sometimes even then). I have been in some very windy conditions with no advrse effect at all.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here, I have always used my disc unless it was prohibited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero. I have a set of 404's and a 909 disc. Basically held on to the 404 rear just in case conditions played a part. I have not used my anything but my disc for the past two years.

I've raced on all sorts of courses, hilly, flat, windy...you name it, and the disc is always faster. I would also venture to say that discs are not like lead weights anymore. If you are a fairly strong rider, you can climb with a disc just as effectivly. Also, no problems at all, even in heavy winds and I am 155lbs. Winds can make you even faster with a disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it at every tri. It would have to be blowing a gale before I would even think of not using it...

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto!

If its allowed...I'm using it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely lose my 404 on the front long before I'd ditch the disk. Realistically though organizers would have a tough time holding a race in conditions that would require me to not ride the disk. The swim would surely be cancelled.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Riders [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reynolds Stratus F/ Renn Disc R = FAST.

Can't wait to get the new Renn Madiera disc.

Just as an example...I proved it to myself w/o spending the $$ .
A few years ago I got a CH Aero disc cover kit...put it on a Mavic CX training wheel..sealed the edges of the disc w/ silicone for a cleaner edge(Mich Pros 23x700's), and borrowed a friends older Zipp 440(Conti Race Tub) for the front and time-trialed my favorite 5 mile straight away.
An hour later did the same course ,same conditions..no wind..early summer afternoon 80 degrees, pair of Kyserium SSL's , Mich Ironman 23'sx700 ....can't quite locate my training journal entry for the results , but, needless to say..I couldn't believe that those heavy plastic discs made enough of a difference to clock a faster run..me thinks it was about 10 to 15 secs faster..over 56 miles that's pretty significant.

Now that I've had the dics for a while ..I think the benefit is in the fact that you can sustain a higher speed ..and keep it there w/ less effort than w/o it.
I come off the bike and into the run feeling better.

PLUS...gotta luv that humm it makes..its like a metronome.

FWIW...the Renn's are a HUGE value...1200g is nothing ,...you don't need dimples..unless you're a member of the 25mph (sub 5 Club).

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
every race except those where it was banned. I've done a couple races in gusty weather that was scary even on regular wheels. Like other posters, I'd drop the front 404 before dropping the disk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every race last year.
A lot of people claim it would be hard to handle, I didn't notice any handling issues. On some really windy days, your bike does start to drift a little bit, but that's easy to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never. There was one race in the city on a very windy day and for that I chose to use a standard spoked front wheel. Not because the wind was strong, but because it was unpredictable coming around the building.

Also, I'm in Elfin category (it's the opposite of Clydesdale).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a disc. You won't be sorry. Night and day performance.

Dave Bunce
dave@ismseat.com
512-968-1888
http://www.ismseat.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have any of you guys done Powerman Alabama? I assume you would also use the disc (In my case an older Renn model) there as well. The winds can be pretty wicked on the course and there are a few good hills. A couple of years ago I used Hed 's F & R and got blown around pretty good. I'm thinking maybe my Renn and an Alps on the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Riders [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P-Man, AL is a fun event (and well run). Windy like you said and most of the time cold. There are definitely hills, but only two are wicked. The others are aerobar hills. I'd use the disc, but stick with the Alps over the 3 spoke for the frt. Fast descents and wind don't make for a good 3 spoke combo.

Dave Bunce
dave@ismseat.com
512-968-1888
http://www.ismseat.com
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Riders [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done Alabama the last 2 years with a Zipp disc. The wind and hills weren't a problem.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also never had conditions where I didn't use my disk.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply