Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need input from recovering alcoholics or drug abusers
Quote | Reply
I have a good friend who has crossed the line from drinking for fun to drinking as a problem with problems. This is a guy who would risk his life to save mine. I know that in my own case, exercise relieves stress and elevates my mood. I'd like to be able to provide my friend with success stories from recovering alcoholics or drug abusers who reformed their life by getting involved in an exercise program or, even better, by taking up triathlons. If I can confront him with his problem and show him a different way of life, I think I can help him get his life back on track. Feel free to pm me or send me an email: tootall58@verizon.net

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Need input from recovering alcoholics or drug abusers [tootall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will not be able to fix him. Mentioning that you're worried that he's getting into dangerous territory is a good way to bring your concern to his attention. Ultimately, it is he that will have to make a decision to change. You can simply be a good friend by making yourself available to him.

I started going to Cocaine Anonymous and AA meetings with my Dad (he is the addict, I was being supportive) when I was 17 years old, and I've got quite a bit of insight into this sort of mess. Spent may years thinking I could help, but ultimately I learned (and was told countless times by addicts other than my father) that it's not a problem that can be solved by anyone but the addict. You will not save or fix him.
Last edited by: jhendric: Mar 3, 05 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Need input from recovering alcoholics or drug abusers [tootall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May want to check out...

http://www.racingforrecovery.com/

~Matt
Quote Reply