Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap reliability...
Quote | Reply
Having searched and read through all the posts on this board about PowerTap problems, I'm concerned that I may regret my investment in one.

Basically, at some point in 4 out of my last 5 rides, the CPU freezes up and just displays dashes. Sometimes it happens for no reason, other times it happens when I push a button. Once it freezes, there's no way to reset it without removing and replacing the battery. Furthermore, there's a lot of noise (rattling) coming from my hub.

So, I'll add my question to the long list already on this board: Anybody experience these problems? How did you resolve them? And my burning question: Does anyone actually own a fully-functional PowerTap?
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap reliability... [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the initial learning curve with the PT system is a bit steeper than it appears. I had similar issues in maintaining reliable service for the first months I owned one. I've had mine now going on 3 years (Pro model). In the end, I found that by carefully going back and examining all the different issues...I got 99% of the dropouts to go away...I still get dropouts driving by banks and convenience stores and the like, probably due to electromagnetic interferences of some sort.

Bottom line...I feel that I own an extremely reliable, fully functioning powermeter. Have patience and go back and examine carefully all of your installations, particularly of the receiver harness...3-5 inches and parallel to the PT hub means exactly that, at least with the Pro and Standard models...my feeling is that some of these should be solved with the new SL hub...

Which model do you have?

Rattling in the hub? Better have it checked by a bike shop for cone and lockring adjustment. And consider the small investment for a better drive side cone and grade 25 bearings (it comes with a crappy cone and low-grade 300 balls on the drive side). That shouldn't cost more than about $15.00 plus a few bucks if you can't install and adjust them yourself...

The display freezing up is usually due to improperly positioned receiver...by removing the battery you essentially trick the whole system and reset the receiver...that will work...for a while...until the receiver loses the signal and can't relocate it after a dropout...but that (replacing the battery) doesn't solve the underlying issue of poor reception of the hub signal.

Again...have patience. Once you get it dialed in on your particular bike...you'll have a virtually worry free system...as long as you change batteries...

Speaking of batteries...how often are you changing them? Particularly the hub batteries if you ride and keep your bike in the cold...the batteries just don't last as long...That's a function of the battery design...NOT a fault with the PT system.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap reliability... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My initial PT learning curve involved learning the following.

1. Dont let it get a sniff of water, it seems to be better since it was rebuilt last year, but I did find some evidence of water contamination after getting caught in the rain one time. If it blanks out when it is cold I might suspect water entry, this then condenses as causes the unit to quit working. That was the first sign that something was wrong with mine, it later proved to have practically rusted out inside.

2. The harness unit wires are flimsy and easily damaged. The wires will sometimes crack internally. I have been through several.

3. Graber takes forever to fix a unit and get it back to you

Having said all this after 2 rebuilds (they sent it back to me not working) I have not had any problems in the last 6 months of use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help with the technical issues, just the doubt issue. I bought my pro model last May and have a little over 3000 miles on it. It has worked flawlessly since installation. I was careful to follow the installation instructions to the letter, after reading all the reports you mentioned. I'm very pleased with mine.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap reliability... [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, the wombat brings up a good point...hopefully you didn't manhandle the zipties as tight as you could get them...the wires ARE a bit flimsy and while they may appear fine outside...you can very easily break connections inside to the point where the signal flow is compromised...

When I had simple cycle computers on my bikes...I used to always get the off road versions for this reason...I don't know why companies insist on using flimsy wiring for road computers...its a recipe for failure...
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap reliability... [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great...

I just sent in my PT a week and a half ago. After many many miles of no problems since March '03, and after switching batteries, changing sensors, splicing wires (yes, it works!!!), checking hub cones, and moving my trainer about my apartment I've come to the conclusion that I have an internal electronics problem.

I was told by the PT people to expect a 5 week turnaround. With the way things are...I might see mine again in June. Maybe it'll be working, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just got mine last week and have it set up correctly (i think) the only part i can't get working is the HRM. i know it's not the chest strap as it does work with my Polar HRM. a bit frustrating to say the least.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fully functional, sort of ;) I've never been able to get my powertap computer software to work properly, so I can't upload ANYTHING to the software they sent out. I use the CP software so it's not a big deal, but there are times it would be nice to see some of the graphs on the software that comes with the powertap. I've also found it doesn't like water. I use a seperate wheel now if it's going to be raining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I treat it like a computer. I have multiple setups so it is pretty easy for me to diagnose a problem, switch a wheel or headunit to narrow down the problem. This also means in the worst case if I have to send something in to be repaired I still have power measurement. This would be the case with any Power unit one would purchase. SRM recommends that people buy two wiring harnesses for this exact reason - it can be very hard to diagnose the source of the problem sometimes.

It sounds like you may have multiple problems and definitely a problem with your hub. I've had a rattling noise from my hub and it was a sealed bearing that failed.

I have three fully functional PowerTaps. About once every two years or so I have to send a wheel in but they are pretty good about not charging me anything, and I essentially ride every day on a PowerTap wheel except when I ride the track.

I also have a SRM and have used the Polar power option and my personal experience is there are always going to be issues with any of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the hub/receiver stop working for ~15 mins in a HEAVY downpour. Then the head unit display was weak as it too got soaked (it's supposed to be waterproof, but some leak just enough to be a problem). Graber/Saris sent me a new head unit without even having me send mine in -- they literally just shipped it to me on my word. Awesome service.

That's the only trouble I've had in ~4000 miles. I had thought about an Ergomo, but couldn't do it. Instead, I'm ordering another PT in some Hed Alps for race wheels. If $ weren't an issue, I'd do an SRM Pro.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply