Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orthotics and running shoes
Quote | Reply
i am anxiously awaiting my first pair of custom orthotics. Should I continue to use the brooks beast for overpronators with the new orthotics, or would I be able to use a "regular" running shoe? The podiatrist suggested to continue to use the brooks beast, but I was hoping to actually use a light, comfortable pair of running shoes for a change.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Orthotics and running shoes [marquettesocal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my first pair a few weeks ago and asked the same question to my Dr. He recommended keeping the same shoe I was currently running in (Asics Kayano) because they work well in conjunction with the orthotics. This type of shoe provides a more stable foundation for the orthotic than a regular shoe.

That being said, I haven't tried any other shoe so I don't know how much truth there is to this but it does seem to be a really good combination. I couldn't be happier with mine and I've been able to run longer and more often with less pain than I ever have before, so I'm not changing anything. I can't say enough good things about mine.

When you first walk in them you won't think you will ever be able to run in them (I didn't) but when you start running you will understand how much good they are doing for you. I was running in mine after a week, as opposed to the 3 weeks recommended. Head off any blisters to buy your feet some time to toughen up and you'll be OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring your shoes in when you get them and ask your Dr. My Dr, however, said to only use neutral cushioning shoes with orthotics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My doc said that my orthotics (for falling arch / pantar faciitis) would correct my need for arch support, but that I would still need a motion control shoe to fix my biomechanics. Take your orthotic to a running store that can analze your gait (or videotape your feet while running). I'd bet that with the orthotics in, if you were an overpronator before, you will still be one. Get the shoes that keep your feet in the right position during a gait analysis. Hopefully, the podiatrist that set you up with the orthotics is doing gait analysis already. If he's not, you may want to find one who will. Some podiatrists don't have a clue what runners are about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, it all depends on the orthotic. Theortetically, you ought to be able to go with a neutral shoe + your orthotics, since the orthotic was made to correct your biomechanics specifically. "Motion control shoes", for example, do some generic correction that may or may or may not be appropriate. You'll need to talk with your orthotist (the guy who actually made your orthotics) and your doc to find out the real scoop in your case. Most of the orthotists here at Georgetown recommend neutral shoes once you get the orthotics fitted properly

For example, with orthotics I now run in NB900's, which is about as neutral as it gets without any problem. Much nicer than those damn clodhoppers I needed in the past.

YMMV, of course.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Last edited by: Philbert: Mar 3, 05 7:46
Quote Reply