Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

jamaica vacation and training
Quote | Reply
going to jamaica for a week, has anyone ever had troubles running on the roads etc. I'll be in negril

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: jamaica vacation and training [dobler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been to Jamaica but many people that I know that have gone recommend staying pretty close to whatever resort you're staying at. This is why most resorts are fenced/walled in with security.

Barbados is another story. I've been there twice and it is very safe for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful in Jamaica. It's actually one of the more dangerous islands. You'll be fine if you stay in the tourist areas but don't go running off into the hinterlands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Ocho Rios 2 weeks ago.........I would not get out on the roads to run......they drive like nuts over there.............just hit the resort gym......and drink some rum punch...........irie mon.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dobler, my family owned a home for many years outside of Ocho Rios so I have had opportunity to ride/run much of the island. Montego Bay > Ocho Rios > Port Antonio. Montego Bay > Negril > Black River, and numerous ventures inland.

Drivers drive fast, but are skilled and I never encountered any of the anti-cyclist sentiment that is so prevalent here in the US. Roads not always in the greatest condition however. Negril area perfect for running with wide shoulder, largely flat.

Running and cycling allowed me to see and experience much more of Jamaica than would have been the case if I cowered inside the wall of my gated resort. As with any place, people enjoy chatting and interacting with folks they see out riding. Refuel at any of the road-side refreshment "bars" and enjoy the people there.

Great memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with m2. Jamaica is great and the people are great. Dont stay cooped up in the tourist traps. Thats what the resorts want you to do so you spend all your time/money with them. The place is safe just use your head...Dont run through downtown Kingston at night! The island has some of the friendliest people and coolest scenery dont waste it holed up in the resorts. Like anywhere you go, be aware of your surroundings and be safe. Have fun!
Quote Reply