Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Canada course changes
Quote | Reply
I have heard some rumours for the last few months that IMC couse will be changing in 2004. It will be a course with 2 loops on the bike and run. Anybody heard anything?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada course changes [ronanw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been some minor modifications to the IMC bike & run courses over the last 10 -15 years, but this if it is true, this would be significant. There does always seem to be a lot of talk about this and at this stage it would just be a rumour.

The trend does appear to be to the two loop courses for the swim, bike and run. Any new races that IMNA has staged have been set up for the first time this way. I see the advantages of this from a race managment and logistics perspective - it's a great idea. However, from a personal perspective, I would prefer one the loop courses.

1. It's part of the history and legacy of the race.

2. When competing it's part of the adventure/challenge - can I get all the way around the loop? When you go out for a 100 mile ride do you do multiple loops or do you prefer one single loop? For me the preference will always been the one big single loop. Same for a long training run.

3. I know this only applys to a few, but you know exactly where you are placed on single loop courses. In my experience, Ironman spectators love to tell you what place you are in, "You are doing great. You are in 26th place!" - or something like that. I always found that very motivating. Into the second loop on the bike or run on a two loop course, other than the leaders( with the lead vehicle) few on the sidelines will know what place anyone is in and nor will you as a competitor.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada course changes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Switzerland bike course was changed from a two to 3 loops. First I was disappointed. But then I realized that my family can see me once more on the bike and I will know the course better on the later loops.
But it is more interesting to ride a single loop course. I don't do multi-loop training rides.
There a advantages and disadvantages for single and multi loop courses.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada course changes [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felix -

In Zurich what is the difference between the trams and the S-Bahn. Do they depart and arrive in the same stations? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada course changes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I know this only applys to a few, but you know exactly where you are placed on single loop courses. In my experience, Ironman spectators love to tell you what place you are in, "You are doing great. You are in 26th place!" - or something like that. I always found that very motivating. Into the second loop on the bike or run on a two loop course, other than the leaders( with the lead vehicle) few on the sidelines will know what place anyone is in and nor will you as a competitor. "

Fleck,

For me it's more like "Lookin Good! (a lie) you're in 728th place!" :-) Heading out for another lap of the run when people are heading in to the finish line is brutal!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada course changes [paul k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you I love it when spectators lie! At least with a loop course spectators cant shout the other great lie: "just round the corner" when you are on the second loop!

Re: Ironman Canada course changes [Bri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The S-Bahn are the local trains. The trams are also small trains (normally 2 wagon) but their rail is embedded in the road. So they drive trough the roads a have much more stops. There network is much 'finer' and they are more frequent but they are of course slower (like a bus).
For short distances trams/buses are better. For longer distances (Main Station to Wollishofen where IM starts) I choose the S-Bahn.
There is normally at least one tram stop in front/around the train (S-Bahn) station.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply