Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling Ergomo users
Quote | Reply
I am interested in the product but the computer monitor seems rather large and I am worried about being able to use it with aero bars and/or a drinking system.

How have you dealt with this (or is it not an issue)? Have any of you raced with the system on?

Many thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling Ergomo users [Kembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kembo,

I have a C2 front-end (bull-horns/clip-ons) - I ride with an aero bottle in races between the clip-ons (Profile-bottle). The computer is big - I mounted mine to the left of my clip-ons (so its sits on the bull horn - between the left arm pad and where the bull horn turns forward). It does limit my hand position a bit on the bull horns - I can grab the ends of the bull-horns easily (where I usually hold to climb) - but can't slide my hands closer to the bend. I'm going to experiment with putting the computer on the stem and see if I like that better. The computer comes with a cateye style mount - but the mounting device has nothing to do with the connection (the computer connects with a liitle computer cable that screws in the back) - so you could get creative and mount it any way you want.....it comes with a cateye oversized bracket and a standard size. If you have flat base bars - you'd have to work to attach it to those......and with an aero bottle in place - I think it would be hard to make it work well on clip-ons.....

It is nice to see heart rate, cadence, and speed at the same time.....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any major problems mounting it. I use the supplied bracket and it fits between my stem and aerobar clamps (profile carbon stykes). I have used it with the profile aero water bottle for IM also. The water bottle has to sit a little bit more forward than it might normally, but it is not a problem at all.

Pluses:
1. Use with any wheels

2. Display is easy to read, shows all the info you need at once

3. Main components have been very reliable for the 1 year I have owned it

4. Best bang for the buck if #1 is important. Comes with CyclingPeaks software

Minuses:

1. The mount is designed so you can remove it easily for recharging, downloading, etc. Because of this, it is a sort of "loose" fit and rattles a bit. It eventually clogs with salt and grime, and I have had to lubricate it to get the computer off the mount. Perhaps the lube I used affected the plastic, but eventually the plastic mount broke and I had to have it repaired. A screw-lock mount would be much better than the "snap-in" design.

2. Can't reset the distance without clearing memory. Becomes a pain when you want to do several rides without downloading the data, you have to just let the milage accumulate.

3. Recall on Shimano bottom bracket, when I finaly sent it in they were out of Shimano so I eventually had to switch to Campy. Don't know if Shimano is available yet or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's so big that I decided to stick with my Powertap and just add $900 to every wheel purchase to stuff a PT in there!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Ergomo users [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your responses guys.

Aztec - yes I had thought about that but it is painful esp. in the UK where it might be more like $1200!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Kembo, we have sold and continue to sell quite a few of these on the west coast.

The display is large, but it centers over the stem so it fits quite well. Drink systems may be an issue though. One of our guys mounted it on the Hed aerobar and actually ground off the mount with a dremel tool and just velcro'd the display on top of the aero bars. pretty neat, but he can't really use it on the road bike now.

Ergomo is probably NOT going to go back to making Octalink versions of the BB, Shimano is phasing out octalink for the external bearing 10sp. The only ergomo currently available is the Campy Sq. Taper. I used it all last year with 9sp DA (FSA crank) with no problems whatsoever.

If you need more info, let me know.

Bill
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Ergomo users [wingnut46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bill

Thanks - I was probably going to set this up with FSA compact cranks so I read your post to suggest that that should not be a problem.

Your point about the aerobar is helpful - I would want to use it with clip-ons since I only have one bike for road and tri, so I will try to avoid the power tools!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kembo,

You can not use an Ergomo with an FSA compact crank - there never was or will ever be an FSA square taper compact crank. You can use FSA carbon regular cranks. I just bought an Ergomo (from Bill if its the same Bill Wainwright....all went well). I looked into compacts. Here are you options/cost:

1) Nashbar has some square taper cranks I heard - never looked that hard for them but likley about $100-$150.

2) Carbonlord has carbon all compacts that weigh about 520 grams - cost about $300. I just ordered a pair - you can PM me if you want to know if it goes well (I just sent a check....).

3) Campy Record or Chorus carbon compacts run about $600.

Some say you can use old mountain bike 110 BCD but I don't know anything about that - plus putting a $1500 powermeter on a $2-5000 bike (most likely) and then cutting back on the cranks seems silly but it does add up....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Ergomo users [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

Good job on the research! If you want to "recycle" your FSA if the carbonlord works out, let me know.

Yours, Bill
Quote Reply