Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Balance 900 First impressions
Quote | Reply
Picked up my new race shoes for the season yesterday. I have been wearing New Balance for the last several pairs as finding shoes for my short fat feet (7.5 EE) is not a lot of fun. New Balance dicontinued what I was wearing before (752?) and I have worn several things since including 2 pairs of Asics in 8 D which didn't work and a pair of NB 7?? that I got at Meijiers of all places.

Went back to Runners in Bay City as I really like Bill the owner but had quit going to him after two shoe orders were never filled. He was apologetic, and swore to get it right this time. We discussed several options and I stated that A) I wanted a lighter shoe this time. and B) I was willing to raise my $70-$80 budget to get something I liked. We also discussed at length the current trend towards lighter shoes and more natural running I.E. the barefoot thing. We settled on the NB 900, which just happens to be what Bill, a former CMU runner and Kinesiologist is currently wearing. I placed my order with Bills assurance that it would go out that day.

I waited a couple of weeks then called Bill. Yeah my shoes were in. Went in, tried them on. Good fit, attractive shoe white with blue and flourescent yellow highlights. My first thought was that my foot seemed to roll out a little in them. But after 10 minutes this was not noticable. This is caused, Bill explained, by NB using a harder compound on the inner heel striking service, which is a majot wear point for most people thus prolonging the life of the shoe. After an hour of BSing about racing (Bill got into du's last year) and organizing a group ride on Saturdays when it warms up. I headed home to get a short run in before work.

First run, the first thing that struck me was the awesome ventilation in this shoe. Quite apparent in this frigid weather, even with fleece socks on. The next thing I noticed was this is a fast shoe. I have an old set of Asic DS racers, those flats are faster "feeling" then these but not much. Also I can wear a pair of those flats out in no time. This shoe is more substational without being heavy like the average trainer I have been wearing. I didn't notice any lack of support in the shoe even on the icy patches, my flats would have been death on that terrain. All in all I got exactly what I wanted, a lighter faster shoe that seems to be tough and comfortable enough for some long training miles. Highly recommended Msrp about $89 which I thought was a deal for this shoe.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance 900 First impressions [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the 900. It's light, fast, and comfortable. I use it for all racing, and some fast training. Not nearly as clunky as the 765's I use for training. The 900 does wear faster, though.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance 900 First impressions [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the number of the clunkers I have! The 765 is my training shoe right now but when they go I think I will train in the 900. Seems substantial enough for this and I will undoubtably need a new pair before end of season regardless.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance 900 First impressions [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been an asic ds trainers guy for several years but have recently considered moving to the nb 900s. it pisses me off how asics keeps changing the trainers every year (and usually not for the better). nb here is come!
Quote Reply