Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to use a Camelback?
Quote | Reply
Iam trying to use a camelback for training and racing. However, I wonder how it should be worn. It always pushes right into my neck, instead of sitting flat on my back especially when Iam in my aero bars

I also wonder how to run the tube, so you don't have to use your hand to move it to your mouth. Iam using the bendeble tube.
Quote Reply
Re: How to use a Camelback? [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What model are you using? I use the Stealth (military version) and I think some camelbaks weren't designed to be worn while hunched over in the aero position. There are models specifically designed for cyclists. The rest are for hiking/trail running.

The Stealth is "low profile" and doesn't squeeze my neck when I go aero. Run the directional tube thru the sternum strap, close to your face. Simply lift/push the tube to your mouth.

Camelbaks are a great product and I wonder why I don't see more people using them on long training rides.
Last edited by: Navi: Jun 30, 03 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it pushes into your neck, try lowering it on your back. This will also give your better aero contour. As for the tube, I just use my hand to put it in my mouth, but you could try something slick with a hanger or other wire-type thing to keep it near your face.

One point to keep in mind: I use my Camelbak MULE for most events, but I just finished my first Half-Iron distance race, and I emptied the 100 Oz reservior, plus a 28 oz bottle of Accelerade, plus 2 more bottles of water from the exchange stations. I drink a lot, but that kept me hydrated perfectly.

So while I endorse the use of a camelbak for racing, both because you can drink a lot on the downhills without worry, and because you can keep your repair gear in there(I saw a couple of hundred dollars worth of tires, tubes, and CO2 inflators on the ground at Tupper Lake last weekend) you should plan on taking advantage of water bottle exchanges if you are doing half or full iron distance races. You will need them to supplement your camelbak.

My setup includes a cage on the downtube and the Profile seat-back double cage for the exchange bottles.

This may sound like a lot of gear to haul, but considering the hundred or so people I passed on the run, I'd have to agree with all those more experienced than I who told me that the bike makes the run.

I also recommend a bento box to keep your Gu and Powerbars in easy reach.

Note for the record, I am a first season triathlete, and a Middle-of-the-pack survivor, so if you're looking to take your age group, my advice might not be the best. This is what keeps me strong, and keeps my feet moving.

I hope this helps you.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How to use a Camelback? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you guys wear the camelback under a jersey when you race with it?
Quote Reply
Re: How to use a Camelback? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't. I just throw it on in T1, and drop it in T2. In my last 2 races, I averaged 19.2 mph on a road bike with aero bars, with max speed around 43 mph on descents. Bike force is my main limiter, so the climbs are slowing me down, not the drag produced by my camelbak.

Maybe when I average 23 mph for a couple of races I'll run some tests to see if the camelbak slows me down more than the dehydration caused by dropping my bottles. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem originally with comfort in aero. I lowered it on my back (found the sweet spot) and now can't live without it. I agree, these things are great. I use the 'Roque' (2L) and have been using it for training rides for a month now. I will be using it in a race for the first time for a 1/2 IM this weekend. I plan to fill it with water and carry a single bottle with gatorade or the like so I can make use of the exchange if I empty the 2L or want a change from water. I don't plan to put it under the jersey, just pick it up in T1 and drop in T2. I have nothing else attached to the bike because it all goes in the pack (tools, tubes, gels, etc.).
Quote Reply