Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help me decide on a new bike!
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a new tri bike. I am currently riding an old Cannondale CAAD3 frame road bike set up with a forward seat post and aerobars.

I originally wanted to spend between $2,000-$2,500 on a new bike. I talked to my LBS (who I trust very much) who sells Cannondale, Felt and Trek bikes. In trying to get me the most for my money, he suggested buying a 2004 Cannondale IM 2000 for about $1,900 (originally $2500). Unfortunately, he wasn't able to find an '04 frame in my size from the factory. He then threw out some possible options:

1. Look at the Felts in my price range. He had positive things to say about Felt overall (quality, value, etc).

2. Look at the Treks. He wasn't too keen on the Trek tri-bikes.

3. He can get me a brand new 2004 Cannondale IM 5000 in my size with full DA 10-spd, Zipp 404's, everything!!! for only about $2,900 (original price was $5,000)

The IM 5000 seems like a great deal. What do you think?

Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Chris.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [ChrisG in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo.

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stretch for the IM 5000; getting the most upgrades for your buck, while perhaps insignificant to your racing ability, will make you more psyched to have your new bike and will make that specialness last a lot longer than if you had the mid-grade bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reggiedog stop confusing him. He wants a Cervelo.

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're approaching the process from the wrong end. Find out what frame geometry you require and work from there. Do you need a longish top tube or a short one? Steeper seat tube angle or shallower one? This should narrow your choices significantly.

However, the rationality of this process turns off a lot of people because it might find them without the bike with the coolest nametag and decals, but rather the best bike for them. But that is what people really want, right? Um, right?.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.elitebicycles.com/

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the reborn Litespeed Tachyon. I believe it's in that price range and it's titanium to boot. If your LBs doesn't carry Litespeed, try Nytro or some of the other web based stores. That said, I rode Cannondales for years and loved them as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have ridden your Cannondale you are already familiar with the confort and geometry

The IM 5000 is a sweet ride - even more so at that price.

I have the 2005 IM6000 and LOVE IT!!!

I also had a 2003 Cervelo P2K and love it - but not as much as my Cannondale.

Make sure you get a fit with whichever bike before making the final purchase decision - either way - that is still a lot of cash but the valuse for money proposition you have with the IM5000 is huge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo team soloist.

(unless you are a hardcore IMer with a sub 5:30 bike split and have no interest in climbing hills, touring, etc. in that case, the p3 is a good bet.)
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [baruch spinoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like something Tibbs would say....hummm

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride them all and see which one you like the best!

And then buy the FELT (I really like mine)

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but rather

pet peeve.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that has not gone unnoticed...

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would read Dan's bikepicker section on this site until you figure out what category you fall in. Had it been known to me at the time, I might not have flailed around for so long trying to find the sweetest ride for me (A Yaqui). I had a Scott, then a Cervelo and neither fit me because the top tubes were way too long. Admittedly I fell in the long-leg Craig category that he says is about the hardest to fit.

If I had $2,500 to blow, I would give Ves a call at Yaqui cycles and buy a bike from him. He offers an $1,700 bike (Manzanita) that is a great value and then you could spend $800 on race wheels and be as fast as anthing on two wheels. Except Lance, of course. He could ride a Huffy and rip the legs off of most of us.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bah.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me decide on a new bike! [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Team Soloist. It's a great ride.

greg
Quote Reply